Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Wolfgang,

I think I understood what you were trying to convey (especially when taken in the context of your previous postings). I appreciate your efforts.

I find that there is one big draw back with computer based forums. The written word can be misunderstood. We have a variety of people here with different language skills, writing skills, and backgrounds in general so things can easily be interpreted in different ways.

I took your posting as a considerate plea.

Wolfgang,

While we may disagree, I just want to reiterate that I understand what you wanted to do and appreciate your dedication to XaraX. I believe you have totally honorable intentions and wholeheartedly disagree with Mr. Heyninck's rather harsh response.

Please be encouraged, we don't all feel the way that Erik does.

joroho
    Wise men still seek Him.

Thanks John and joroho,

that lifted up my chin a little. I guess you understand what I really had in mind.

Peter said it best that "xara-x.com was my baby and all ...".
    I feel sad that I can't turn my plans into a great site right now, even more sad I find responses like Eric's.

But, as the oracle said: "Here, take a cookie. I promise by the time you're done eating it, you'll feel right as rain."

I go have my cookie now ...

Wolfgang

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Wolfgang - Lift that chin up even higher. I've read and reread the posts in this thread. I find myself agreeing with what John noted about communicating in this type of forum. I don't really think Erik is out to torpedo your idea. In this kind of forum legitimate comments can come across as hurtful even if that wasn't intended.

Erik's point about the name xara-x.com is important. Xara Ltd. could probably quite easily have that domain name taken away from you if they were so inclined. I would hope they don't as I think it is clear that your intentions of having a unofficial pro-xara site have been clearly stated. I'm sure you have a lot of great ideas about the kinds of content the site could provide xara users or you wouldn't have registered the domain name.

I think Erik's other remark about getting "fired" is important too for your consideration. I think all he's trying to point out is that (in his opinion at least) you are trying to have quite a bit of control over what would, if your offer was accepted, become someone else's baby. Anyone who takes you up on your offer will have to trust you won't abuse your backdoor into what in many ways would effectively become their site and not yours.

If I had more time I would be tempted to take you up on your offer. I think it would be easy to come up with ideas - ones that don't conflict with xara.com or the xaraxone. I agree that there is room for many sites about Xara X. Their presence on the web would help legitimize the program to many new or potential Xara X users. Perhaps there could be a Xara X "ring" as there is for many graphics programs.

If you end up developing the site yourself when you do have time, I wish you success. Make it a useful resource and I'm sure it will get visited by the same people who now think another Xara site is unnecessary. The key there is developing a truly useful resource. Of course there are many possibilities that could be worthwhile without being of particular interest to current xaraxone users.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on February 18, 2001 at 11:48 AM.]

you really wrote my intensions in a more civilised language. thanks for that.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

This forum is so busy that a lot of good tricks, tips and other stuff get lost when they drop off the bottom. I think there _is_ room for another site that contains material that doesn't find a permanent home in the Xone. A recent example is John Clements' node-grouping discovery - too small for its own Web Xealot but an important feature not described anywhere else (why isn't it in the help???).

com domain names are very cheap to register and getting increasingly scarce - people are forced to register names that have little connection with their own company or service. Xara knew the name of the product a long time before we did and should have registered xara-x themselves. They can consider themselves very lucky that the site redirects here and doesn't try to sell something else.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

Sean,

in fact, I kept Kate Moire informed all the time about my project and my intentions.

Before posting the preview, I sent her a link to check everything and to make sure I would not conflict with any of Xara's (copy) rights.

Xara Ltd. never made any attempt to get the domain from me and never had any problems with me registering it.

Additionally, I registered the domain quite some time after the name xara x was mentioned in this forum. So I believe that Xara Ltd. never planned to use this domain anyway. Otherwise they would easily have spent the 19.98 US very much earlier.

"xarax.com" for instance was registered in 1998 by a different company, xara-x.org and xara-x.net are still available.

"Grabbing" or selling the domain was never my intention like I described last year to Oosterhagen in this forum.

If anybody takes the time to read this whole post as well as my earlier ones, it should be clear that I had (and have) nothing but the best in mind for our beloved Xara X.

Still, there seems to be nobody to take the challenge and I am tempted to take back my offer, just to close this sad thread.

But then the thought of "Jetzt erst recht!" comes up (can anybody translate this by the meaning?)

Wolfgang

Do it right the first time? Do the right thing?

Its been nearly 30 years since Uncle Sam put me "im Deutschland". I never could get the word order down. Just the essentials. Wo ist die toilletten? Immer garade aus. Die frohlien ist sehr shoon. Rauchen die hashesh (the funny smelling stuff) ist Verboten! Ich Liebe Heidelberg und Salzburg. Das ist mein bier (That's my business)! Hey, you learn first what gets you by.

Regards

John,

you really learned the essentials !!!

I guess, an appropriate translation for "Jetzt erst recht!" would be "now even more!", but I am sure, there is a common term for it.

Wolfgang

reading this last entry of your makes it clear that Xara knew about your project, and this throws a completely different light on the situation. Having had this kind of problem myself -someone grabbing my choses domain name before my eyes- I do get very furious at the thought of it, and still will continue to make my point clear that I feel nothing but disdain for this practice.
    As your intentions were, and are completely different -why for heaven's sake did you choose a .com, and not a .net or.org?- I owe you an apology, and can only express the hope your promotional project of Xara will work. I would translate Jetzt erst Recht
    by: more motivated than ever to succeed. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]