Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Dear friends,

last year, I started www.xara-x.com with a preview and a lot of big plans.

Unfortunately (but, I must admit, very fortunate for me) I can't find any time for it due to my busy dayjob. As of now, I am fully booked until the end of march and there is no time left for anything else.

I really do regret that, because I work with Xara-X every day and yet can't do "it's own site".

Due to this regrets I was asking myself if somebody else in this forum would be interested to run the site on his/her own.

I formed some points that seem important to me. So, before you apply make sure you can live with it:

1) This is a no money no way offer. I won't pay you, you don't have to pay me. Not even the cost of the domain, the webspace, whatever. I keep the domain, the web stays with my hosting company. Remember, I am not selling the domain !!
    I will also not allow any commercial interest, no banners, no popups, no nothing.

2) You should be an absolute Xara(X) maniac!! Most of the people here are anyways. Even more you should be willing (and able) to REALLY TAKE CARE about the site. Of course, all credits for your work will be given to you, never to me !
    You are free to keep the current design or create your own. Any ideas how to improve the page are greatly welcome.

3) You absolutely must not be affiliated with Xara Ltd. !!!
    If something stinks about the program or the company, you must be free to say so. (Of course, nothing really stinks about X !!)

4) xara-x.com was planned to be a platform for users and fans of Xara X. So I'd like to see you communicating with and incorporating other users for the best of the project.

5) Technically, you'll receive a username/password for your sole usage. Except for the restrictions above, you are free to do what you think is best.
    Currently, the web is Frontpage2000 based, and I would very much like to keep it this way. I will still have full control over the web myself, but under normal conditions, I will not fool around or change anything.

6) and last: basically, if you read my disclaimer on www.xara-x.com and agree to it, you could be the one.

One last word: I felt I had to write those 6 points. But above all, I want this to be a thing between friends. So don't be shy and think about it.

If you are interested, write me directly at wolfgang@xara-x.com.

Any comments to it may be placed here for all of us.

Wolfgang

Dear friends,

last year, I started www.xara-x.com with a preview and a lot of big plans.

Unfortunately (but, I must admit, very fortunate for me) I can't find any time for it due to my busy dayjob. As of now, I am fully booked until the end of march and there is no time left for anything else.

I really do regret that, because I work with Xara-X every day and yet can't do "it's own site".

Due to this regrets I was asking myself if somebody else in this forum would be interested to run the site on his/her own.

I formed some points that seem important to me. So, before you apply make sure you can live with it:

1) This is a no money no way offer. I won't pay you, you don't have to pay me. Not even the cost of the domain, the webspace, whatever. I keep the domain, the web stays with my hosting company. Remember, I am not selling the domain !!
    I will also not allow any commercial interest, no banners, no popups, no nothing.

2) You should be an absolute Xara(X) maniac!! Most of the people here are anyways. Even more you should be willing (and able) to REALLY TAKE CARE about the site. Of course, all credits for your work will be given to you, never to me !
    You are free to keep the current design or create your own. Any ideas how to improve the page are greatly welcome.

3) You absolutely must not be affiliated with Xara Ltd. !!!
    If something stinks about the program or the company, you must be free to say so. (Of course, nothing really stinks about X !!)

4) xara-x.com was planned to be a platform for users and fans of Xara X. So I'd like to see you communicating with and incorporating other users for the best of the project.

5) Technically, you'll receive a username/password for your sole usage. Except for the restrictions above, you are free to do what you think is best.
    Currently, the web is Frontpage2000 based, and I would very much like to keep it this way. I will still have full control over the web myself, but under normal conditions, I will not fool around or change anything.

6) and last: basically, if you read my disclaimer on www.xara-x.com and agree to it, you could be the one.

One last word: I felt I had to write those 6 points. But above all, I want this to be a thing between friends. So don't be shy and think about it.

If you are interested, write me directly at wolfgang@xara-x.com.

Any comments to it may be placed here for all of us.

Wolfgang

Thank you for your genenrous offer, Wolfgang, but in as much as the new XaraXone does much of the same things, and is already overrun with Xara Maniacs, perhaps you could just add a referral page to this site?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

Gary,

of course there is the Xone, and I guess I made clear in my disclaimer, that I never wanted to be any competition to it.

Still I believe, that a program like Xara X could take more than only one fan-site. Just look out, how many Photoshop sites there are. And each one of them has their fans without eliminating any one of the others.

Or take a look at the forum here. Every other post reveals a hidden function, a new technique, a never-thought-of use. Ivan alone did a great job with his brushes and all.

While Ivan is the featured artist at the Xone, and brushes are downloadable as well, there is no place (that I know of) where you can find packed tutorials (by users !!) and sort of a hint-base.

One of my plans was, for instance, to provide a "tutorial-kit" with given layout etc., so everybody could contribute their tips in a common way or layout.

You know, how much I love your monthly tutorials (I wrote you more than once), but this would be different.

However, I am surprised by the low resonance to my offer. So you might as well be right that there is no need for it ??

For the time being, I will forward visitors of www.xara-x.com to www.xaraxone.com.

Still, I would very much like to see xara-x.com flourish on its own.

Come on Xarans, think about it ...

Wolfgang

...don't you think that it is pretty neat that the first site new users (potential buyers) see is this one?

Strength is not the number of sites - but quality!

I belive that the Xara community is better served by you directing people here - than creating something half-arsed.

My 2 cents.

Risto

Risto

As far as I'm concerned, I'd prefer to have just a couple sites I monitor on a regular basis for updates, samples, tuts, tips, etc.

It can get overwhelming to try and keep up with several different sites, and I would always feel like I'm missing out on something important if I chose to ignore one or two.

joroho
    Wise men still seek Him.

Hi Wolfgang!

I know xara-x.com is your baby and all that, and you must be disappointed by the replies you've received so far, but I find myself agreeing with them. There are so many sites to keep track of every day (not just for graphics, but for other interests as well), and I have to say that this one is particularly addictive! If you haven't the time to maintain your own, where better could you redirect your URL?

Peter

on hand you register a com site that has a name that isn't really yours, as it is Xara Ltd's idea to call their new baby Xara X , and then you stress that no commercial activities are allowed...

on the other han someone makes your site for free and can be credited for that, but get "fired" the moment the work is done, certainly as it has to be made in your favourite app., Frontpage.

Sorry, There is something I don't like... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Risto and joroho, I don't agree with you but I respect your opinion.

Peter, I already redirected the site.

Eric, I am sorry to see that a respected member of this forum can be as ignorant as you are. You are off my cool-list for giving a good thing a bad taste, just because you understood nothing. I do not deserve to be called a cheat by you!!

Everybody, as the replies continue to be negative there really might be no need for a new (second) site to support Xara-X. I am a little disappointed but I guess I have to face it.

Maybe I will find time myself sometime in the future. If so, you are welcome to visit. If not, you don't lose anything

Wolfgang

so get back to your day job! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    The Fontman
    "For those who fought for freedom...freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."