Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Does anyone have any idea why I can write using certain Cyrillic fonts in Wordpad, for instance, but I can't use them in xara, or any other graphics program I have?

The 2 fonts the client really wants are Arial narrow & Book Antiqua - they only show up in English in Xara.(But I can use them in Wordpad also in cyrillic!)

All other Russian-English fonts I can use in all graphics programs, just these are giving me an ulcer!
    Help!

Does anyone have any idea why I can write using certain Cyrillic fonts in Wordpad, for instance, but I can't use them in xara, or any other graphics program I have?

The 2 fonts the client really wants are Arial narrow & Book Antiqua - they only show up in English in Xara.(But I can use them in Wordpad also in cyrillic!)

All other Russian-English fonts I can use in all graphics programs, just these are giving me an ulcer!
    Help!

Hello Robin

I don't have a clue as to why this is happening, but I have asked someone at Xara to see if they can answer your question.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    Be it ever so humble...</a>

http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/flag.jpg

Hey Robin ,
    Your problem is possible to solve this way.
    You have to edit file C:\WINDOWS\win.ini
    In list of fonts you have to order
    [Fonts]

[FontSubstitutes]
    Arial Narrow,0=Arial Narrow,204

then better to reboot

0 -means English keyboard
    204 –means Cyrillic keyboard
    This way you can to order substitutes for every font you need.

Which code should I use for Scandinavian keyboard?

Or does any of our other Scandinavian users have a better workaround? The characters I can't type is äÄöÖ.

Only for the fun of IT.
    Just for the fun of IT.

I don't think you need to change any settings. If you have good eye sight use Character map in Windows Accessories.

I prefer to hold down alt key and type the following codes on the number key pad:
    Ä 0196
    ä 0228
    Ö 0214
    ö 0246

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Jessica

Sorry, I didn't see yours was a different question at first. I think the issue is a Unicode one. In the past fonts could only have 256 characters max. Not all the extended characters would fit in one font, so different standards were used in different countries.
    Unicode fonts can have far more than 256 glyphs, but not all software supports Unicode yet. If XaraX doesn't, then it will only read the first 256 characters.

The only workaround I can think of is to persuade a friendly fontmaker to create you a custom font for free which contains the characters you need. But this font will have to be named something other than Arial or very nasty things will happen to your system [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Oh, and I'm that friendly fontmaker [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    jf.slater@virgin.net