Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Setting Graphics and Photo Designer 6 for 300 DPI before export

Hi

I have Xara Graphics and Photo Designer 6. I've mainly used it for web graphics but now I am doing some print work with it.

I want to set up the page so that it is 300 dpi. Then design the graphic and then export it.

However I am confused on how to do this.

It appears the way Xara is set up you design the graphic and then during export you tell it how many DPI you want it.

The problem is if I select 300 dpi during export, the resulting export is much too big.

I am sure I am doing something wrong. It seems to me there must be a way to set up the page before creating the graphic to 300 dpi (or whatever dpi you plan to export it in... right????)

You help will be appreciated!

Thanks

Rowby

Default Re: Setting Graphics and Photo Designer 6 for 300 DPI before export

Set the page size to be the total number of pixels you wish the picture to be i.e 10 inch x 8 inch would be 3000 x 2400 pixels then when you export the page at 300 ppi you will get a 10 x 8 inch image.

Christine

Quote Originally Posted by rowby View Post
    The problem is if I select 300 dpi during export, the resulting export is much too big.
    Hi rowby,

It's much too big for which program? If you viewed it in a browser for instance it would look huge because they are designed to view lower res images.
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).

Please remember that this is not web work it is for print and therefore the file size is going to be more than 3 times the file size of one that is for the web. When exporting to PDF there are various ways of reducing file size but all of them compromise the quality of the output. Working in Xara Design Pro 6 I think the native file size is low when you compare it to Adobe Illustrator but is there are a lot of high res. pictures imported and left at their import res. then the file size goes skywards and the programme can sometimes get unstable. I am not one of these people who think that Xara can be used as a one stop shop I always think that PS has it place when it comes to preparing high res. pictures and using an action can convert these photos in to a one click answer giving you prepared photos even to the right size.
    Design is thinking made visual.