Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default MouseOver and Pop-up Layer - HOWTO?

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to follow the xaraxone may08 tutorial .
    I'm using Designer Pro 6 and I guess some things have changed since 2008.
    Goal is to have the MouseOver effect make the buttons glow (this works) and also have the linked pop-up layer 'pop-up' (this does not work for me)

I'm not sure what's wrong. I first tried to move the stuff that needs popping up to the mouseover layer; this worked (after grouping the pop-up layer stuff with the rollover button) . But as soon as I added a second button, all pops up at the same rollover.

I have attached my file.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Erwin

may_2008.xar
    Erwin Panen

Default Re: MouseOver and Pop-up Layer - HOWTO?

Hi. I have videos which can help you learn how to create navbars in your websites which you may wish to watch.

You should use a mouseover layer for things like button changes when you move the cursor over them. Any object on the mouseover layer that has 50% of its size or more within the bounds of the mouseoff button calling that layer will become fully visible on mouseover. Use popup layers for when you want multiple objects to appear that are far from the button.

There are additional videos showing how to lock layers and use advanced layer control.

I’ve attached a modified version of your site. Essentially there are buttons on the mouseoff and mouseover layers, and each button-pair is softgrouped together. They have links to the corresponding layers (and no mouseover links—which were likely causing your initial errors). On each popup layer, there is a dead copy (i.e. without active links) of the mouseover button to help keep its glow when the layer is visible. Usually, navbar buttons like this navigate to new pages of the website and don’t load popup layers. Popup layers will disappear when you click anywhere on the page unless you use the lock command (which then requires a close button). I’ve attached an example xar file demonstrating how to lock and close layers: essentially prefix the layer name with "(lock)" and then an object on that layer which you want to be used to close the layer again should have the URL address “popup:close” added to it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Xhris,

Thanks for jumping in.
    I'm having a problem seeing the solution. Or it could be I badly explained, not sure.
    I've attached my previous file, slightly modified though.
    You'll find that I just moved the 'HOME' icon (that was sitting on the HOME layer) to the MouseOver layer, and grouped it
    together with the HOME button.
    This way, when you hover over the HOME button, the circle shaped pop-up layer with the HOME-icon pops-up.
    This is what I'm after. Unfortunately the same HOME-icon pops-up whenever you hover over any of the buttons. That's wrong behaviour.

Now I'm not sure what's happening in your fixed version. When I preview the website, all I see when hovering over the buttons, is the glow. The circle with its related icon will only show when a button is 'clicked'..
    Am I missing something? Could this be Explorer's cache that's playing up?

Thanks for your help!

Erwin

may_2008_partly.xar
    Erwin Panen

Hi. I think I understand what you want a bit better: You want the images to change when you mouseover the buttons instead of having to click on them? If this is the case, then the mouseover layer is not useful for you and you should use popup layers entirely. Each popup layer contains the glowing button and the correct circular image. The layers are called from the mouseoff layer buttons using the mouseover tab in the web properties dialogue. You can assign web links to the mouseover buttons too (although technically it’s wisest to softgroup the two button states and assign the link to the softgroup).

I’ve attached another xar file example which I hope demonstrates what I think you want. (Your browser was not to fault BTW.)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Xhris!

That did the trick So in fact it all seems to boil down to the single fact that in conjunction to assigning a popup layer, which I had done, you also have to fill in this pound sign in the "Link to Web or Email address".
    I had been trying to follow through on the help file and I've tested entering ##1 etc; not sure what went wrong though.

Anyway, thanks a ton!!

Erwin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	may_2008_partly_modified.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	79376  
    Erwin Panen

The # is actually irrelevant (it still works without it). All that was needed was to call the popup layer via the mouseover tab in the web properties dialogue and not use a mouseover layer at all (which only works with links assigned anyway).