Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Unhappy Can someone help restore my precious files? XD

Hey, once again I've had some Xara problems. Me and my boyfriend are working on a cartoon, and the backgrounds, models etc are all going to be made on Xara. We worked late last night designing the characters, and something must have gone wrong when saving. If someone helps and fiuxes this, I'd love to show you all my work for it. So..could someone help? XD

Thanks so much in advance and also, ignore the inflation animation frames in the corner, it's for a commission.

Thanks again!

~ ZobeBRACETON.xar

Default Re: Can someone help restore my precious files? XD

Hi Zobe,

I tried recovering it with ExpandXar with no luck. Maybe someone else can fix it, but for me all I got was a couple of your colors in the color bar (dark purple and orange amongst them).

Xara is very stable, but when I do work on important files I always make a backup. For instance, 'BRACETON.xar' and 'BRACETON-bac.xar'. Every now and then, when there is a crash, I have the backup.
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).

Zobe

I'm afraid you may have to start over again.

But to prevent this from happening, download a free copy of Bill Taylor's XaReg here. It is the second item down.

Set it up for automatic Backup files. Every time you save your file, XaReg creates a backup file (*.bak). If you fry your document, then you can open the last backup *.bak file and you and your mate won't have to start from scratch.

This is from the Locking the Barn Door After the Horse Has Been Stolen Department.

As an incentive to upgrade, Xara Designer Pro 6 makes automatic backup files at regular intervals and if you crash and burn you can open one of the backup files.

Great to know, Gary - and thanks Bill.

I'll be upgrading soon myself, but if I'd known a year or two ago...

I have a few files up in Xara heaven.
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).

Hi Zobe.

Not sure what version you have but in Xara Designer Pro 6 there is an option to set automatic backups.
    - see pic attached.

I'm not sure whether other versions have this but this has rescued me just recently.
    I'm not sure whehter XaReg did this. If it did, I don't remember using XaReg?!
    I deleted stuff and saved the file, only to realise that I did not want to save!

I went to >File >Open recent >Backups...
    and found the most recent saved backup and managed to recover my work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backups.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	78331  
    Last edited by Rik; 12 December 2010 at 10:52 AM.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone