Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Someone copied an old tune

Since it’s really off topic I guess this is the right forum.

There is a popular American song a lot of young people are watching today. [WARNING – F word used all the way through the song.] You can see an official version on youtube.com. Search for this term:

Cee Lo Green – F*** you

but with the *’s filled in.

When you see the fat black guy in the red checked shirt – that’s the video. I saw it the other day and the melody reminded me of 60’s or 70’s song which I heard hundreds of times in my youth. Yet there is no mention of it being taken from another song.

Does anyone remember this tune?
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).

Default Re: Someone copied an old tune

Nope, but it sounds like jackson five and commodore kinda feel, well, it is kinda gospel soulish.(and a bit heavy funk bassguitar)
    I think it had just all the ingredients of a lot of songs of those days.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

I think you hit the nail on the head ankhor – very Jackson Five and Commordore-ish sounding. You’re probably right – it might just be the sound itself, though I was sure I knew the song…

The video clip does have great graphics.

In my search for the answer I Googled the singer, song and ‘plagiarism’ and I found this interesting page:

http://wonderwall.msn.com/entertainm...-1582865.story

‘“Creating the melody for naughty Cee-Lo Green hit F**K You came so easy to pop star Bruno Mars, he feared he'd accidentally ripped it off from a forgotten 1970s tune. The singer/songwriter admits he half expected a plagiarism charge as the track became a worldwide Internet smash. He tells Rolling Stone magazine, "We kept singing, 'I see you drivin' 'round town with the girl I love, f**k you...' Then I went to the piano and came up with the piano riff. "I actually thought the riff was an old '60s or '70s soul riff, but I guess I'd know by now if it wasn't original."’

Actually he might be jumping the gun. Sometimes it takes decades for lawsuits to start up. That way there is more money to claim…

Hi James.

We (me and my wife) have been thing about what you say and it seems that it's easy to think that it sounds like something from the 60s or 70s.

We certainly cannot think of anything that the song sounds like.

My wife, though, said that she has heard this on the TV very recently.
    How could this be with words like 'F*** you' in the song.

Well, I heard this as the end trailer music on Sky Sports. On Golf, no less!

Only there is obviously more than one version of the song.
    The words 'F*** you' had been replaced by 'Forget you'.
    Same singer/artist by the way. Not a substitute!

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

It's common practice to replace or mute rude words in songs for playing on daytime TV/Radio or where the broadcaster requires a non-offensive version. The artist will record two versions for this purpose (or they mute at the appropriate point).

Thanks Rik, and please thank your wife too. I'm sure you are both right - it just sounds like the 60s or 70s. I searched for the song I thought I knew, but could find nothing.

As you say, the TV stations are becoming bolder these days. They play the R-rated version in the evenings over here (in Australia), and the other version during the day, but I think most kids get around that by listening to it online. Parents always had to watch their kids carefully, and we have to be careful about what they watch online. The song may sound good and look good, but the lesson isn't particularly good for kids. I prefer the more sporting 'may the best man win' attitude myself.