Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thumbs down Quark not import PDF from Xara.

Quark not import PDFs from Xara.
    Format: Unrecognized
    Other PDFs (from Corel, InDesign) not problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010-12-01_004923_Quark.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	78157   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010-12-01_005051_Corel.png 
Views:	129 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	78158  

Sorry for my english

Default Re: Quark not import PDF from Xara.

Which version of PDF did you export to? For example, PDF, PDF/X PDF/X3 2003?

And which version of Quark are you using? And which version of InDesign?

I just created a single page PDF and exported as a PDF/X for Commercial Printing and it Places fine in InDesign CS5. And it generates a preview thumbnail in the Place dialog.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pdf-place.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	78161  

All fomats PDF have same problem.

InDesign no problem I know Only Quark (I have 7.3 and new 8.5), but this is Xaras "bug" ...
    I found the cause:
    if I add solid/bitmap fill for object its no problem
    but when I add linear blend for shape/text/etc Qurak not import.

This is Xara bug because (Quote from forums Quark). There I also described this problem:
    Hi,

Quark 8 can import your files.

You try print your pdf from Xara Xtreme to pdfcreator and save as pdf and after this try import to quark, mayby will be better :-) I haven't old quark and can't test, but are any problems with pdf, from Xara even qsview give me info about errors

Error: /invalidaccess in --def--
    Operand stack:
    --dict:7/7(L)-- F0 616.206 --dict:6/6(L)-- --dict:6/6(L)-- ArialMT --dict:11/12(ro)(G)-- --nostringval-- CIDFontObject --dict:8/8(L)-- --dict:8/8(L)-- 14122 --dict:8/8(L)-- --nostringval-- PDFCIDFontName ArialMT
    Execution stack:
    %interp_exit .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push --nostringval-- --nostringval-- false 1 %stopped_push 1862 1 3 %oparray_pop 1861 1 3 %oparray_pop 1845 1 3 %oparray_pop 1739 1 3 %oparray_pop --nostringval-- %errorexec_pop .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- %array_continue --nostringval-- false 1 %stopped_push --nostringval-- %loop_continue --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- %array_continue --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval--
    Dictionary stack:
    --dict:1159/1684(ro)(G)-- --dict:1/20(G)-- --dict:79/200(L)-- --dict:106/127(ro)(G)-- --dict:285/300(ro)(G)-- --dict:22/25(L)-- --dict:4/6(L)-- --dict:21/40(L)-- --dict:1/1(ro)(G)-- --dict:1/1(ro)(G)-- --dict:1/1(ro)(G)--
    Current allocation mode is local
    Last OS error: No such file or directory
    pdf_page failed

But after converting in pdfcreator he doesn't give any info about errors.
    Last edited by MoonArtz; 01 December 2010 at 09:42 AM.
    Sorry for my english

I have an older version of Quark and can import PDF files. If I have any problems with the import as some bitmap redering is not accepted I resave it in Acro Pro and then re-import it. If you don't have the Pro version just try and do the same but this time use Adobe Reader and see what happens. I also know that Quark 4 & 5 PDF import filters struggles with PDF as it still preferred the .eps route to import files. Most folk who use such a powerful programme as Quark also purchase some form of Adobe Distiller to resolve problems like this and if I can remember from my press experience that it was PDF 1.4 that this programme preferred as its import format.
    Two quick tries:
    1. Try EPS
    2. Try saving PDF at version 1.4

If you still have problems please PM me and I will convert any PDF to the right version to suit 8.5
    Design is thinking made visual.

I add PDFs for test:
    forQ.pdf - flat fill - import to Quark OK
    forQimg.pdf - img fill - import to Quark OK
    forQblend.pdf - gradient fill - NOT OK
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Sorry for my english

I got a message when importing to Quark 6 "that the file might not look the way that it was intended to look, did I want to continue?" said yes and it imported fine. That was the forQblend. pdf. So don't know what is happening with your version of Quark! Since it's the newest version I would get onto Quark's technical support and see what they say. One of my work mates has the newest version of Quark and I asked him to try 3 files which I sent him: ForQblend(yours), ?(that I did, saving as PDF 1.4) and one which I imported into Illy CS3 where I removed the clipping mask. The reason that I did this as you stated it was a blend but what it really is, is a Linear Fill.

He emailed me back saying that the first two did not but the last did - I find this really strange cos using Quark 6 I can import but with newer version no. What I would suggest is that you get in touch with Xara technical and see what they say! Don't hold your breath for a prompt reply! If I can be of any help converting files for you don't hesitate to get back. The other thing that I would suggest is to get a hold of a distiller type programme which are free and print to them, the Quark forum suggested PDFcreator or PDFCute is also quite good. Best of luck.
    Cheers
    Peter
    Design is thinking made visual.

I have asked someone from Xara to look at this thread and to advise.

Thanks all
    Sorry for my english