Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Publishing Taking a long time

Hi

HELP!

Apologies in advance for long post, I wanted to try and give as much info as possible.

If I publish with ftp and click only to update changed files, it appears the system trawls through every file and takes at least 30 minutes to update this is even if I just make one small text change to the site. I can't identify where I'm going wrong.

I decided to take down my main site today as I needed to upload information quickly. I created a new page called it index and sent it to the sever (apart from out of memory warning - see seperate thread), I noticed when the upload box appeared it started to go through completley unconnected files as though it were updating them, they are other xara related files but unrelated to this particular site, again, I'm not sure where I'm going wrong, any ideas?

I also noticed today that when a visitor arrives at the site the correct information is visible in the address bar, i.e. full web address when the person then clicks on a menu item and then clicks to return to 'home' the web address plus webaddress/index.htm appears is this they way its supposed to be? I'm wondering why when someone clicks home it does not just revert to the web address without the index.htm appearing, have I done something wrong or is this just the way it is?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Darren

Default Re: Publishing Taking a long time

Hello Darren

Yeah that does sound like it is taking a long time.

Sometimes if you add a photo or two to a page then Xara has to renumber all the other photos (I think, this may or may not be the case), and if this is the case then the entire index_html_files folder has to be uploaded again. And depending on the size of your site this can take a long time.

Most browsers will show the index.html page as part of the URL when you return to a page. I am not sure why but they do. And yet, as you point out, they do not display the index.htm or index.html page when you first enter the URL.

I know I have not answered your question but I have added lots of text.

Hi Gary

Thanks for your reply.

I think you may be right in that all the photos are being numbered or re-numbered, as I can see in the upload box it going through every file. This happens though even if I don't make any photo changes, I just sent a repeat transfer which was exactly the same as earlier and it still took nearly 40 minutes to finish.

Darren
    Last edited by DAZZLER1607; 30 November 2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: fixed some of it

Hmmm. The file that takes the longest to load is the index_html_files folder. The HTML pages load in a flash usually.

You may want to consider breaking the site into smaller modules and using URL links to each section as I explained in Managing Large Websites.

Thanks again for your reply.

I read through that document and think it is maybe something I should do. No doubt I'll be back on though needing some assitance when I get lost in the maze of all the files.

Thanks
    Darren