Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Looking for a new superzoom camera

I hope it's fine to ask questions here, I don't see many being asked anymore!

I'm looking to upgrade my current camera. I would love to get a DSLR but they require too much space for what I want it for. I know I do want a superzoom, preferably at least 22x optical or so (i have a Nikon P80 now w/ 18x). It's amazing how quick these bigger and better models come along. 36x optical?? Wow.

The biggest thing for me is a good focus. Right now -- and I know the P80 is far from top of the line -- at or near full zoom it will NOT autofocus. I have to use manual focus, but it is way too hard. Does anyone have any suggestions on this, is the manual focus better on the better models (I was looking at several, such as the new Canon SX30IS ), or at least better at autofocusing? I'm sure nothing beats an SLR, but I was at least hoping it's better on upper-level models.

Also, I would like to be able to take HD videos, but not quite sure what's what. Some models have 1080i and some have 720p HD. If I understand right, 720p is actually just as good, if not better, than 1080i, at least for "fast" (action) videos?? And I assume in that case 1080p is better yet?

Sorry it takes me a while to write anything. I'd appreciate any advice from the professionals!
    Last edited by meltsner; 13 November 2010 at 11:15 PM.
    IP

Default Re: Looking for a new superzoom camera

No expert, but I asked a friend and he said to have a look at this:-

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1007/10...nicdmcfz40.asp

Example of what it can do here :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twIwq21gCb0

JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64
    IP

You're right. Nothing really beats an SLR. I guess it rather depends what you want to shoot really.

With regard to HD 1080 over 720. The overall resolution reveals all. It's 1920 x 1080 (2MP) against 1280 x 720 (0.9MP).
    IP

Thanks both for the replies. Those videos are amazing, even 720p has excellent quality. The only thing I was wondering about the difference was something I read about the way HD frames are "put together". 720p is "progressive" while 1080i is "interleaving" and according to what I read for certain applications interleaving is not as good (thus I figured 1080p would be best....). But I'll have to keep looking. At any rate, 720 is by far good enough (from that video!).

I'll admit, the advantages in an SLR are about too many to just get a "regular" camera. My dad has the Nikon D90 and I've played around a good bit with it to know generally what's there. Problem is as I mentioned, size..... for a good zoom you have to have the room and the money, let alone the body itself.

But new models keep coming along......I've been checking dpreview.com and will continue.... just too many choices! JK
    Thanks again!
    IP