Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are you ready? Dumb question of the year!!! Here it goes!!!
    I have used Xara now for 2 years and LOVE it!!! It has saved me!!! But for the life of me one little thing keeps coming up that nags me everytime and it's one of those things that I'm usually too much in a hurry for to remember to post on this forum. Today I had a minute to finally get this resolved.

When I select the pen tool and try to draw a line from left to right or whatever direction,..what key do I need to hold down to force a STRAIGHT line??????

SOmetimes I'll click and then see that the line is not exactly straight,...I tried the shift key, the ctrl key the alt key and nothing forced a straight line. Why am I not seeing this?

td

Are you ready? Dumb question of the year!!! Here it goes!!!
    I have used Xara now for 2 years and LOVE it!!! It has saved me!!! But for the life of me one little thing keeps coming up that nags me everytime and it's one of those things that I'm usually too much in a hurry for to remember to post on this forum. Today I had a minute to finally get this resolved.

When I select the pen tool and try to draw a line from left to right or whatever direction,..what key do I need to hold down to force a STRAIGHT line??????

SOmetimes I'll click and then see that the line is not exactly straight,...I tried the shift key, the ctrl key the alt key and nothing forced a straight line. Why am I not seeing this?

td

Hi Todd,

You've found one of the reasons most XaraX users don't use the Pen Tool. By using the Shape Editor Tool and using the Control Key you will get straight lines.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Draw your line using the pen tool. Then while you have one of the points selected switch to the shape editor tool. Change the value in the box with an "A" next to it (Angle) to either 0 for horizontal or 90 for vertical.
    All Your Graphic Are Belong To Us

The Shape Editor tool it is!!! Thanks for the tips. You are right, that works like a charm.

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

I use the Freehand tool. Hold down the Alt + Shift while drawing a line and it will force your line to be straight.

I recommend Judie's suggestion. After you start the straight line then I believe you can push on the Ctrl-key to constrain the line per your default angle setting.

You can do it with the Pen Tool too.

Click your first and second anchor points to create your line. The hold down the Shift and Ctrl keys and drag.

Gary

WOW,..great tips! As I expected with Xara,..there's always more than one way to do something. It's too bad Xara doesn't create their own FLASH MX equivalant as then perhaps I could grasp that genre' too. I'm taking Flash lessons right now for cartoon animation and man,..it's such an awkward approach for me. I wish they just had XaraX's drawing tools then I'd be happy!!!

td

I find SwishMax a lot more intuitive than Flash MX, as well as a lot cheaper.

Now a 3D modelling app with Xara X ease of use, that would be a dream come true...