Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default RAW and EXIF data

Before I purchase XARA Photo and Graphic Designer 6 I need to confirm that it handles RAW format for my digital camera. I have a Pentax K-x DSLR, which came on the market at the end of 2009. When looking through the list of supported cameras on the XARA web site it indicated many Pentax digital cameras, but not the K-x. I am assuming it will handle the RAW format for the K-x also.

Also, as it relates to working photo images, is EXIF information provided also for each image?

XARA Photo and Graphic Designer 6 looks like the perfect "all-in-one" program I've been looking for, and at an excellent price. Just need to make sure it meets my basic requirements as stated above. Thanks.

Default Re: RAW and EXIF data

I know someone with a the PENTAX K-7 which was released along with K-x that Designer Pro 6 supports .PEF (RAW) fine. Though the EXIF is only read from JPG (RAW technically has no EXIF)
    Last edited by zaphodeist; 04 November 2010 at 07:25 PM.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm pretty sure Photo and Graphic Designer 6 should be able to handle RAW for the Pentax K-x since it should be a fairly universal format between all the latest Pentax models (unless my assumption is way off the mark). I'll try to confirm with Pentax.

Also didn't mean to imply that EXIF is associated with RAW, but rather JPG as you stated.

Just went back to the XARA web site and saw a tab for advanced features which I did not see earlier. Under this tab, under RAW, it lists the Pentax K-x. It also confirms EXIF capabilities for JPGs. So I guess all of my concerns have been answered and I look forward to purchasing and using Photo and Designer 6.

I also look forward to utilizing the XARA forums and other XARA resources. Seems like a good company and community to be associated with. Again, thanks for your earlier prompt reply to my message.

Phoned a friend - Xara uses the universal DCRAW for conversions. It can be manually updated by swapping out the dcraw.exe in the folder:
    C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara_Photo_Graphic_Designer_6\Filters\R AWImport

(32bit and 64bit versions available)

http://www.insflug.org/raw/

My friend is amazed at my new found interest
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Welcome to TalkGraphics TXUSA. You wouldn't happen to be from Texas now would you?

Yep, Houston area. I was not aware of XARA until recently when someone online recommended their product line. I was searching for a replacement for Ulead Photo Impact, another great product which I have been using for years for basic photo editing and web graphics. Unfortunately Ulead was bought out and no longer makes Photo Impact. Plus I needed something compatible with Windows 7.

I am impressed by the wealth of online information and resources made available by XARA in support of its software. A very good selling point as far as I am concerned. I am sure I will be utilizing them at various times in the future. Say hi to everyone in New Mexico for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TXUSA View Post
    YSay hi to everyone in New Mexico for me.
    That'll keep him busy for a while.