Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Folders & files organisation problem... please help

I have created a web site with 5 similar pages. How should my files be organized -

I have ended up with 5 html files, but I have also ended up with 5 separate folders with items relating to each page.
    I had some problems with missing images when I published my web site, so I' saved as' and exported to a new folder, but only ended up with the 5 html files and 1 folder this time?

I also exported using a different icon in the program and had a duplicate of each html folder. They weren't renamed but seemed identical when looking at their properties.

Can anybody help me out please.

Default Re: Folders & files organisation problem... please help

Hello Hemmick Reef

You should only have one folder and five page HTML files.

Each of your five pages should be linked to one another and you should be able to preview your entire site at one time.

Web Designer renames your images with numbers. So if you have five folders then you will have a separate icon in each folder.

Questions for you:

Did you create one document with five separate pages?

Or did you create five separate documents with one page each?

Hang in there. We will get this sorted out.

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply.

I created 1 doc. with 5 pages (I used duplicate page for this)

I'm getting this error - 'An error occured (file does not exist) when opening the file: Static Background.xar'

A background fade background is showing on each page, in the program and shows in the preview. But when it is published, it isn't there, just a small icon in the center of where it should be (using Google Chrome)

I have published before finishing the web site as I wanted to view it on-line and I have checked Re-publish changed files only.

I have also just noticed a new folder appear in the main web site folder again - is this to do with renaming the title in web properties?

This is not right.

How big is your site? Can you post your WEB file here?

The basic structure of your site should be a home page (index.htm or index.html) and four related HTML pages. Your navigation buttons should link to each page.

Open the attached file to see how it is structured and how the buttons work.

Then export the site to a folder on your desktop. Name your document index.html.

You should have an index.html file, and four html pages, and a folder index_html_files folder.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sorry for the late reply.

My site has a very similar layout to the file you attached. I saved as to a new folder and the layout is as should be - I default folder.

I have attached an image of the folder that is incorrect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	folder-image.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	77497  

OK Can you describe how your WD6 document is set up? Do you have one document for the entire website, or several documents, for example, one document per page?

One doc for the website

I have been trying to embed the free 'Premium Beat' mp.3 player into my website. I finally got it to appear although it cannot link to the song, but I have noticed a new folder has appeared in my root folder with the related xml, mp3, swf inside - I had originally placed these into the 'default_html_files' folder so I am not sure why this has happened?

The name of my doc. is mechanism website and the name of the folder it has created is 'mechanism_website_web_files'
    Last edited by hemmick reef; 04 November 2010 at 01:36 PM.

Create a new folder on your desktop. Publish your website to this new folder.

What are the contents of this folder? A screen capture is good.

Do you mean 'save as'?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	folder-image2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	77499
    Last edited by hemmick reef; 04 November 2010 at 01:58 PM.