Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Unhappy pdf export problem

hi guys
    i'm exporting a flyer design using the 'commercial printing' settings and when the file exports, the pdf has a transparent border/'box section' around a couple of text objects which have the shadow tool> glow> effect around them. this unwanted 'border' follows the glow effect around the objects and also consists of straight edges. i have tried converting everything to shapes but i get the same problem.xmasflyer.xar

i have attached the xara file, all help appreciated.
    'I'm comin to you now, I'm just around the corner!'
    Bespoke art and design by Herbie Hysteria. http://www.artbyherbie.com

Default Re: pdf export problem

I am sorry to say it is the usual problem that you get when exporting an RGB effect like your glow in a CMYK doc. There are a couple of ways to improve this one is to create a bitmap copy of the area which has the glow. Hide your vectors of these area in a different layer and switch off the layers viz. and do this for each area one at a time. The other area which I think you have nearly done is to have the text in a top most layer this again will improve your problem. You could also try to not use the bit map effect and instead use a Blend or sometimes use the Contour tool which can nearly get the same effect. The last solution which you won't like is to export it as a .tiff file but this can also lead to a few minor problems which can be sorted if you have a copy of PS on your hard drive.

Great flyer by the way some nice effects, maybe you could knock back the transparency slightly on your 2 banners but that just an opinion.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Also notice that you will have to create a bitmap copy of your page background as well. Don't know why but PDF slices the top part into 2 pieces because of the white Glow under the text. Also watch your resolution of your bitmaps the ones that you have done are to the default of 92 dpi when they are small it doesn't matter but the larger ones like your group text glow would. Hope that helps I have a good PDF now which would print but it is far, far too large to upload, over 8 Megs.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Cool Re: pdf export problem

thanks albacore
    i thought as much, you just confirmed my suspicions ok, what i've done is to completely remove the glow effects and exported it this way, came out great. i think the design can live without it(!)

my design style is such that i use the glow effect a lot, so i'll defo try your suggestions on the next flyer, which i'm starting tomorrow hopefully

thanks for the thumbs up, you're a gent!
    'I'm comin to you now, I'm just around the corner!'
    Bespoke art and design by Herbie Hysteria. http://www.artbyherbie.com

One thing that works for me when you have a drop shadow is to convert the object with the shadow to editable shapes. Then ungroup. This leaves the original object and the shadow which is now a bitmap.

Herbie,
    I inserted a new layer named "TRANSP" with a transparent rectangle.
    You should get a good result without removing all the graphic effects when you export as PDF.
    Attached Files Attached Files