Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default how would you deal with this guideline problem?

i haven't given up guys i just been laying low and learning. but i need to ask a question. how would you tidy up all these perspective guidelines?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 point bridge.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	77453  

Default Re: how would you deal with this guideline problem?

is this too much work for cartooning? that what i want to do. don't most artist use perspective? or is this too involved and id better doing it by eye?

I would create a simple 3D rectangular shape in perspective. Then create the sides for the shape as flat panels, and apply a Perspective Envelope with the Mould Tool to snap the sides to the rectangular shape.

If you have created all these lines on the Guideline layer, then you can right click on the screen rulers and select Delete All Guidelines.

Hi

the more realistic you need your drawing to be, the more you will need perspective I think
    this applies to all genre, cartooning is no exception its just a genre where realism can be less important sometimes

if you are just drawing a character you can often simply use basic shapes, but for backgrounds [eg the roof to street view] you are likely going to need those lines...

one way you can simplify is to have the lines on more than one layer, so you can switch in and out the ones you need to see at any given time - or move a layer up/down as required....

Gary is right in that the fewer lines you can get away with the better... but this depends on you...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I would create a simple 3D rectangular shape in perspective. Then create the sides for the shape as flat panels, and apply a Perspective Envelope with the Mould Tool to snap the sides to the rectangular shape.

If you have created all these lines on the Guideline layer, then you can right click on the screen rulers and select Delete All Guidelines.
    how would i do this in steps?

im under the impression that you cant have guideline layers. or groups of layers?

ah well - I'm used to creating my own... you could be right about guideline layers

not necessary to group them - just toggle visibility - just the way I do things..
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    im under the impression that you cant have guideline layers. or groups of layers?
    You can create a guide layer and draw anything you like on it and it'll not appear in the final image.

Another tip that may be helpful when drawing to a vanishing point that is way off of the page (as they often are) is to use Xara's NEW VIEW (Windows > New View) function. You could have one view of the primary drawing area and other zoomed-in views of the vanishing points, then do a Windows > Arrange views. Although the inactive windows (the windows that don't have the focus) don't refresh automatically all at once (sure wish they did ... hint, hint Xara developers), you can draw in the primary view, then click in one of the other views to edit an end-point(node) or to scale and drag to the vanishing point. This should save you time of in navigating and zooming. Unfortunately, I don't believe your custom views are saved with the file, just the last active view.

could you please explain gary how to do this? i learned about form yesterday, and how you can draw anything with 4 basic shapes. so that what im trying to work on now, building things with shapes. and 'seeing' shapes. how would i draw this cube your talking about. i want to know if im drawing a 3d cube right.