Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Using ACCESSKEY for keyboard shortcuts ?

Hi,
    I'm brand new to Xara - so no slapping please :-)

I'm developing an info/news site for disabled persons. These people cannot use a keyboard so I have developed a simple colour coded remote control that emulates keyboard strokes (e.g. pressing the orange button is the equivalent of ALT + N for example that takes them to the Next page).

I've tried putting this code in an HTML Placeholder. The text (hyperlink) shows up OK but the link will not function

<A HREF="index.html" ACCESSKEY="A"> Press Alt-A for the example page.</A>

I'm just not experienced enough in Xara yet to know what I'm doing - so can anybody lend a hand please?

All I want to do is assign 6 keys (any keys) to the remote that open different pages.

Many Thanks....

Default Re: Using ACCESSKEY for keyboard shortcuts ?

Welcome to TalkGraphics

You're going to have to slap me around a bit because I do not know the answer to this question.

But unless I am missing something, why not have an arrow for next page and last page and let them press the button with their mouse?

How are they going to navigate the site anyway?

The current site was written in Actionscript.

The site comes up on a users TV from a black box without either a keyboard or mouse connected. We are dealing with elderly or disabled technophobics for the most part so no notion of PC technology should be present. The entire program is driven by the user by a 6 button, colour coded, user-friendly remote control. (the "remote" is nothing more than a USB keyboard controller hidden under some nice plastics Green = "A", Red = "B", Yellow = "C" etc...).

A user has on average 3 or 4 choices on each page (Yellow Button on remote to see his/her Photo albums, Red Button to start a video conference, Blue button for settings etc....).

The site needs to be completely rewitten in a language yet to be determined, and my immediate job is to design the layout before that development starts. I was hoping I could do this is Xara.

It would be nice if I could use the remote touches, rather than a mouse in the demos for navigation (as I'm sure you will understand).

OK I see. But an arrow that says NEXT PAGE or PREVIOUS PAGE does not seem all that technical.

It sounds more like a challenge to see how user friendly you can make the interface. I do not think you can use Xara to code this page. I may be wrong about this because my programming skills are nil. But Xara can certainly be used to create the interface elements which can then be used to create the pages in a more specialized application.

Thanks for your help, but it's not a question of having an arrow going to a "Next Page" or not. The problem is clicking that arrow without a mouse (e.g. having a keyboard stroke shortcut attached to a button).

I have decided to develop the demo interface in VS now because I can at least designate a keyboard shortcut to a button and get the results I need. It needs run locally for sure - but it's only a demo and the binary boys can sort the rest out for the final web version LOL.

Thanks anyway...