Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Site visitor count

How do I set up a visitor count

Default Re: Site visitor count

ooh,Thats a good question...I too would like to know this!

Welcome to TalkGraphics jandie

First go here and find a hit counter you like.

Then copy the script and place the script in a placeholder. See Xara HELP and search for Placeholder Objects. (Index > Placeholder Objects)

In short a placeholder is used to insert the appropriate script into the HTML document upon publish.

Thanks for the reply but where do I find the hit counter?
    Jandie

Jandie

You have to check out the hit counters on that Google search, and then pick one you like. Most of these generate a line or two of code.

You copy the code and paste it into a placeholder.

When you publish your site the hit counter appears. Most of the free counters add a small link of advertising code just below the counter. But most for a small fee with eliminate the advertising.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	get-code.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	77311   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	placeholder.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	77312  

I'm just curious. Why do you want a count on the page?

Since we are a club and trying to attract new members I thought it would be nice to know how many people are viewing the site.

Jandie

You are far better off using google analytics to view how many people are visiting, where from, how long they stay, etc. etc. Also let's say that you have a hit counter visible to all and it show something like 46 visitors, this can be a little of putting to some people and they will end up thinking that your site is not that popular, also competitors like getting a buzz out of seeing how many visitors the competition is getting.

Unless of course you plan on having millions of visitors per month and want to show off!

Kash

Hi Jandie, most hosting packages include a facilty to analyse page visits to the account and it will tell you how many people visit and when. This can be very useful in some circumstances - for example if a new article/content attracts visitors this will be evident from the site page statistics as an increase in traffic following the site update. A page counter won't help you in that way, nor will it alert you if regular visits drop off.

You might like to consider site statistics as another option.

I'm not a big fan of visible page counters, but some people like them. Sometimes there are good reasons not to have them - they can be wrongly set up and they publicly show the world how popular/successful/unsuccessful the site is.

Whichever you choose, good luck with the site.

Hi there - I'm a HUGE fan of totally free http://statcounter.com/ - i've been using them for almost 7 years.

You can configure the counter the way you like, I use it invisibly to the public. You add to each page, and the information gathered is organized, and extremely informative. Once logged in, I use the "recent visitor activity" heavily. I am logged in day and night and use all the information gathered to tweak my site. I use it to see how I need to work on my seo, as well as what the strongest, most popular pages are, and thus what I need to concentrate my work on.

There is something out there for everyone - I have tried google analitics, but i have never found a comparison to Statcounter. I even bother them constantly for a smartphone app!
    So, in a nutshell, I'm not a fan of having the world see how many people have visited, but yes to the information gathered from the use of a good counter.
    Happy building!
    Sandy
    www.bigfurryfriends.com
    www.animalprops.com