Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "grouping" text

Default Re: "grouping" text

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    There are two issues with that document:

1. The area of text in question has an aspect ratio of 91.15%. This cannot be translated accurately into HTML. Use the text tool to select the entire text area (Ctrl+A) and then reset the aspect ratio in the info bar to 100%.

2. The document is set up for print output, not web output. Look in the Options dialog, General tab. The two switches at the bottom, "Document is intended to be a website" and "Show Windows compatible text lengths", should be checked for web output.

Hope that helps,

Phil
    Hi Phil,
    Thanks for the info. I knew about the 91% aspect ratio on the lower para and I had changed that to no effect. I didn't know about the print setting problem - I always assumed that that was set automatically when you started a new webpage design. Anyway, I change the setting s - ticked the two boxes - and STILL have the same two problems when I go to preview - text overspill on both blocks of text and no proper repel text on top Right hand photo. I am beginning to think that I have a bad XDPro6 installation except that I sometimes had this same text overflow problem when I used xtreme pro 5..
    Many thanks for your help,
    Peter

That suggests your browser settings are causing the problems, not Xtreme/Designer. I'm sure your copy is exactly the same as everyone else's.

Try resetting your browsers back to their default settings. Make sure the zoom level of the browsers is reset to normal.

Also, back in XDPro, make sure you set "Document is intended to be a website" and "Show Windows compatible text lengths" as I described above.

Phil
    Hi Phil,
    I don't think it is a browser problem in that despite the fact that I have the two problems in preview the exported file looks OK in IE8, Safari and Google Chrome. It only repeats the preview problems when viewed in Firefox 3.6.10 which is my default browser. I have not changed anything in any of my browsers. I did take your point re the general tab settings - it made no difference to the preview problems. I have attached screen prints of the exported file shown in IE8, & Safari - all look OK on text overspill and the repel text problems. I have also attached the same exported file in Firefox - both problems clearly visible. The file showing the preview page in XDP6 clearly shows the problem while the file of the design page shows the layout as designed - no problems!!!
    can you make anything out of this lot???
    Many thanks for your help so far.

Best regards,
    Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara preview.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	77451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara design page.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	77447  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IE8.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	77448   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	safari.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	77449  

Name:	firefox.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	77450  

Hi Peter,

The "preview" attachment in your previous post shows a Firefox window. Is that correct?

If so, then you are only showing us a problem in Firefox, all you other browsers appear to be working. So I still suspect that it's a browser problem.

BTW: When I have fixed the aspect ratio, text line width and document properties your original file previews correctly for me (using IE subsystem) and displays correctly in Firefox 3.6.3.

Phil

Hi Peter,

The "preview" attachment in your previous post shows a Firefox window. Is that correct?

If so, then you are only showing us a problem in Firefox, all you other browsers appear to be working. So I still suspect that it's a browser problem.

BTW: When I have fixed the aspect ratio, text line width and document properties your original file previews correctly for me (using IE subsystem) and displays correctly in Firefox 3.6.3.

Phil
    Hi Phil,
    Yes, only FF in the browsers has a problem BUT the preview page indicates the very same problem. Hence my original question - does the preview page use and internal browser or the individual computers default browser? If so, my my default is a mozilla browser which might explain the problem but i think that the preview uses a browser independant of the computer and included within Xdpro6. If so, what is the basis of the preview browser?

"BTW: When I have fixed the aspect ratio, text line width and document properties your original file previews correctly for me (using IE subsystem) and displays correctly in Firefox 3.6.3". I have corrected the aspect ratio - which only applies to the lower text, I have checked the web page output and the web page text width but I still cannot get a proper layout in FF. Forgetting the text overflw for a moment, what is causing the repel text problem only on the RH top photo in preview and FF?
    I have checked my system for virus/corrupt files etc and it is OK. Next step un instal XDPro and do a complete re-instal. The only problem is that I seem to remember that I HAD THIS SAME PROBLEM IS THE PREVIOUS VERSION XEXTREME 5- which might indicate a problem within Xara.
    Many thanks for your help,
    Best regards,
    Peter

With all due respect, if it was a problem with XDP everyone would have problem with the preview. BTW I think the preview is IE, though what version I don't know :-D
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Quote Originally Posted by neodeist View Post
    With all due respect, if it was a problem with XDP everyone would have problem with the preview. BTW I think the preview is IE, though what version I don't know :-D
    Hi John,
    This iss driving me nuts and I am about to go back to hand coding!!
    I have checked out my system - all OK.
    I have uninstalled ALL Xara progs.
    When I tried to reinstal XDP6 from CD it hung finally saying that it couldn't read a file.
    I then reinstalled from my download copy - installed OK.
    BUT I STILL HAVE THE OVERFLOW AND REPEL TEXT PROBLEMS IN PREVIEW!
    this is madness - I just cannot understand why, when I design a page the text looks Ok - when I go to preview, using the internal browser I get text overflow etc.
    I am about to chuck Xara in the bin.
    Regards,
    Peter

Yes, the XDP preview dialog is based on IE. On my machine I also have Firefox set as the default browser but the preview window uses IE.

If you are seeing a Firefox window when you "preview" then either you are doing the preview in a different way or there is something very unusual about the setup of your machine.

The preview button is a simple page-with-an-eye icon and has the bubble help text "Export and preview web page". That's what I'm clicking to see the built-in IE preview window in XDP.

Remember that at least two of us here can make your file work correctly and you have seen the problem in different versions of XDP installed on your machine. This all points to the problem being specific your setup, or possibly an interaction between your particular setup and XDP. And in particular your setup of Firefox.

Phil

Hi Phil,
    I finally decided to re-install from my CD (Although I had the CD I was using the DL version updated). I un-installed XDP6 via Control Panel and tried to re-install from the CD. The CD version simply would not install. It kept saying - after a very long wait - that a file was missing or not available. Everytime I tried to install it stopped on a different file as being missing or unavailable. The thing is that everytime I checked the files were there on my C:drive and available.
    I have turned the whole mess over to Xara support. maybe they can make sense of it.
    I know that you and others say that they can preview my file OK but beleive me there is no way that I can get preview to properly display the text or properly show the text repel on that one photo. Yes, I know that the exported page looks OK is all the browsers apart from FF but I cannot find anything wrong with FF. It displays files that I created earlier and on earlier version OK. So, I still feel that it is something in XDP6 that is causing my particular problem.
    Thanks for oyur help and your comments,
    Regards,
    Peter

The latest on the text overspill problem
    I passed it over to Xara support but so far they have not been able to explain why.
    I tried re-installing XDP6 from my CD - no go. The install process kept saying that it couldn't read various files - a different file each time!!
    Reverted to a download and installed OK.
    Recreated the web page in exactly the same way as before and it works OK - open the original file and i get the text overflow problem again!!
    Maybe I had a corrupted installation but I definately had a corrupted .xar file because I can repeat the problem by opening the original file in the newly installed version of XDP6.
    What is wrong with my CD - I have no idea. | hadn't used the CD before, I just kept running on my original download. I did a full unistall from the control panel before trying to reinstall from the CD and the new download.
    Maybe Xara support will come up with something. If, as has been posted, the internal preview engine is based on IE I really don't understand why I got text overflow in the preview page and yet the exported file looked OK in the IE browser.
    By the way, my apologies. The screen shot that I posted of the pre-view page was actually the FF screenshot but they both showed the same problem.
    Anyway, many thanks to all of you for your advice and comments.
    Best regards,

Firefox does now have 3.6.12. Maybe try an update and see if it helps you? I can't make the problem appear.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture016.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	77544   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture017.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	77547  

Name:	capture022.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	77549  
    Last edited by jimhanus; 06 November 2010 at 09:13 AM.