Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "grouping" text

Default Re: "grouping" text

There are two issues with that document:

1. The area of text in question has an aspect ratio of 91.15%. This cannot be translated accurately into HTML. Use the text tool to select the entire text area (Ctrl+A) and then reset the aspect ratio in the info bar to 100%.

2. The document is set up for print output, not web output. Look in the Options dialog, General tab. The two switches at the bottom, "Document is intended to be a website" and "Show Windows compatible text lengths", should be checked for web output.

Hope that helps,

Phil

Hi Peter

Checked your Xar again - in the cold light of day as it were - and I saw that your aspect ratio for the text is 91.1%. Changed this to 100% and problem solved You must have accidentally resized the text box with the selector tool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ratio.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	77425  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Just seen Phil's post Should've looked - too eager!
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

A bit more info on the text spillage problem.
    1 Text looks good and stays within the text box in design page. Text repel on both photos in first para ( see earlier submitted file) work as intended.
    2 In the preview page text spills out of the text box and even off the page PLUS right hand photo (lady) no longer properly repels text.
    2a It has been suggested that the problem was caused by stretching or squeezing the text using the select tool during design phase. Whilst, inadvertantly the text in the second para had been squeezes (91% aspect ratio) putting this right did not clear the problem on the preview page - text still spills and right hand photo seems to lose repel.
    Going now to loading into external browsers:-
    IE8 works OK no text spill repel works as intended.
    Google Chrome works OK as above.
    Safari works OK as above.
    Firefox 3.6.12 does not work - text spill and no repel in right hand photo.
    SeaMonkey - 2.0.10 (Mozilla) same as Firefox.

I generally do my initial testing in Firefox which is why I reported the problem as being in both the preview and the browser.

Questions:- What browser is the internal preview based on? The two Mozilla browsers and the internal preview page ALL exhibit the same problem.
    Does anyone have any good ideas other than grouping the text and turning it into a graphic that is invisible to the search engines???
    best regards,

Open the .xar I sent above and preview - the text does not overspill

Name:	verspill.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	77429  

Hi All,
    Just to make sure that we are all singing off the same hymn sheet I am re-posting the file again. In my preview page the text on both the paras overflows and the left top photo of the lady does not repel the text properly. However, when viewed in an external browser such as IE8, Safari and Chrome it displays properly. In Firefox 3.6.12 and it's cousin - SeaMonkey (both Mozilla) it displays the same problems as it does in the internal preview page - text overflow and no repel on the right hand top photo. I normally use Firefox for initial testing.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Pete. From your new attachment: ratio for bottom text still set @ 91.1% and top text has a 0.5 border. Alter these and check again

Name:	outline.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	77436   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ratio.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	77437  

Quote Originally Posted by neodeist View Post
    Open the .xar I sent above and preview - the text does not overspill
    Hi John,
    Are we both using XDpro 6? because here is a screen shot of the file in my preview page. Note the overspill AND the lack of repel text on ONLY the rh photo.
    Regards,

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	77439  

Quote Originally Posted by neodeist View Post
    Hi Peter

Checked your Xar again - in the cold light of day as it were - and I saw that your aspect ratio for the text is 91.1%. Changed this to 100% and problem solved You must have accidentally resized the text box with the selector tool.
    Hi John,
    I just opened the .xar file attached to your message and noted that you had changed the aspect ratio for the lower para to 100% - I had already tried that. However, your file in my preview window still overspills and I still have the repel text problem on the RH photo. Maybe I just have a bad copy of XDPro 6
    regards,
    Peter

That suggests your browser settings are causing the problems, not Xtreme/Designer. I'm sure your copy is exactly the same as everyone else's.

Try resetting your browsers back to their default settings. Make sure the zoom level of the browsers is reset to normal.

Also, back in XDPro, make sure you set "Document is intended to be a website" and "Show Windows compatible text lengths" as I described above.

Phil