Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default choosing a wacom tablet. bamboo pen and touch. do i need the touch feature? or...

can i just buy bamboo pen?

i noticed something to day while in xara. i noticed that i dont draw well with the shape editor. i decided to give the freehand pen a try. i like drawing freehand much better as i just cant think in terms of the shape editor and think drawing freehand would be easier. would it? when my hand does the thinking i can get better results. so im consider buying a drawing tablet. art is hard, that much is true.

Default Re: choosing a wacom tablet. bamboo pen and touch. do i need the touch feature? or...

the pen will not work without the tablet

there are members here like myself who prefer freehand/tablet over shape editor - but it is down to how you draw

if you are used to drawing freehand it's may well be worth it, but like many things you won't know for sure until you try

if you are good with a pencil you are halfway there with the tablet
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: choosing a wacom tablet. bamboo pen and touch. do i need the touch feature? or...

Some people will not find the pen and tablet as easy as the mouse, like me. If I were in your shoes again I would try and borrow a friends tablet first before I invested the amount of needed for a good quality product first as it is an expensive mouse for my laptop. Mind you it takes time to get used to the pen!
    Design is thinking made visual.

I use the Bamboo pen Wacom it takes awhile to get used to after drawing with the mouse but now I love the WACOM!
    "Rage"
    John S.
    ------------
    js-designz.net

Hi

I think you originally were asking do you need the touch tablet - or just the pen tablet?
    [I didn't match that with the thread title - sorry]

well that depends - the advantage of the touch tablet is that you have a set of keystrokes on the tablet that you don't need the keyboard for

I find I still need the keyboard as well anyway, so I'm not too fussed - but again it does depend on workflow [how you draw]

the touch[pressure] sensitivity is what I like in a tablet pen - the way you can therefore build up lines like a traditional pencil/pen/brush

also to draw freehand with a mouse you need to keep the button pressed - bad news for comfort at least for me, and likely not good news long term if you do a lot of it

Peter [albacore] is right that it would be good to try before you buy if you can - and try it with several different drawing programs too.....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...