Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "grouping" text

Question "grouping" text

When i enter text into a text box it looks Ok but when pre-viewed it sometimes extends out of place. The solution seems to be to select the text with the selection tool then group it. this works OK but why is it necessary to group text?

Default Re: "grouping" text

After entering the text are you resizing the text area using the selection tool rather than the text tool? That could cause the problem.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Hi John,
    No, no resizing. The text never seems to stay as you entere it when you go to preview or to a browser on the web. It looks good in the design but is then different in real life. Group it and it works OK.

Grouping the text will force it to be exported as a graphic rather than text, this means search engines will not be able to read it.

Please attach a .web or .xar file that exhibits the text problem so we can examine it for the source of the issue.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Peebs

Have you changed the default text size in your browser? This can affect the display of your text area and make it spill out of the intended area.

Grouping text is a way to ensure your text displays exactly as you have created it by converting the text into a PNG bitmap image. But as a bitmap, there is no information to inform a search engine as to the content of the text. If you decide to group the the text, then add some Alt text (Website Properties > Image > Alt text) that explains what the text says.

But first check to see that you have not increased or decreased the text size in your web browser.

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Grouping the text will force it to be exported as a graphic rather than text, this means search engines will not be able to read it.

Please attach a .web or .xar file that exhibits the text problem so we can examine it for the source of the issue.
    Hi Bill and the others,
    Sorry for the delay - I have been off the air for a couple of days.
    Here is the file that I am having a problem with. The text box layout looks OK in the design stages in XDP6 but goes all over the place when previewed or when seen on a browser. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yep, I see what you mean. Beats me.

You do have a Layer 18 under Layer 1 but moving that up does not solve the problem.

Lightbulb Re: "grouping" text

I have been working with WD for last 6 months and I face this problem frequently. I never cared about it, as I always sorted it by either changing the font or shifting the text. yes, many times the text extend themselves out from the text box. In the screenshot you can see that the in WD the text is under the box, and in preview its extending outside the box.
    I have also attached the examples of my screen shots. Hope it helps you, not with texts, but, to know that you are not alone facing this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WD screen shot.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	77409   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	website previdw screen shot.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	77410  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Yep, I see what you mean. Beats me.

You do have a Layer 18 under Layer 1 but moving that up does not solve the problem.
    Hi Gary, i know that I have various layers - I have tried shifting the text up and down the layers but I still get the problem. incidentally, I had the same problem in Xtreme Pro. it looks like others are having the same problem. Am I right in assuming that the preview viewer is built into the XDP? Or does it use any part of an outside browser? Before I sent you that file I tried to create a smaller file that would demonstrate the problem but the system worked OK and the text stayed in place!!! However, It goes bad more often than good. Please let me know if you come up with anything as it is fairly useless for web design as it is because of the limited crawler access.
    Regards
    Peter

Hi Gary,
    In the file I sent you I just noticed another problem. Again, on the design page all looks well but in preview not only does the text spill over the text box but the right hand photo of the woman does not properly repel the text wheras the left hand photo of the man does. Both photos have the same settings. Does that throw any light onto the text problem?
    Regards,
    Peter