Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default large file freezing

My file is freezing when I try to select all in order to do a clip. file size is 2 megs. I haven't run into this problem in the past. I'm running on win 7 64bit.
    any thoughts?
    thanks as always,

John
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: large file freezing

well I think it is the object on layer 'Street 0.75' that is causing the problem, but I don't know why.... can't access it at all in designer pro 6
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

OK.. Chances are your computer or program has not frozen, it is just processing your request!
    to do a select all (Only God knows why) of all of your 2,705 objects in 16 layers, it will take some time.
    As an example on my machine, at least the one I am currently using (a Quad Q6700 w/4gb ram Windows - 64 bit and XARA designer pro 6,1) it took 7.5 minutes to perform the "select as" then went into an immediate auto backup which took another 7.5 minutes. In other words the machine was processing the request for 15 minutes! during that time the indication would be that it was hung up, which it was NOT! Now if you have lessor of a machine, obviously the time will be greater, could be much greater, and likewise a newer cpu like a 3.3g I7-985 should perform it in about 1 minute. I have no clue as to why you would want to do what you are doing so cannot respond to that.
    hope this helps a bit.
    BTW if you download a cpu usage desktop widget you can visually watch the action on all cores while you have a few cups of coffee, or whatever.

The greyone

this of course is a good point

I tried deleting all but layer Street 0.75, saving, reopening - it still 'froze' simply in the act of selecting

it is a group of course, and likely a complicated one? - so that may take some time I suppose...
    Nothing lasts forever...

update

selecting the Street 0.75 layer only file took 5 minutes on my dual core 2GB windows XP machine - designer pro 6 - 50% cpu usage, mem around 117,000K

however it dosn't stop there of course - you then need to do something with it ....
    Last edited by handrawn; 18 October 2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: typo
    Nothing lasts forever...

The reason for the selection is to clip the map, export as png to produce the result that is attached (I started the selection and went out to lunch and let it do its thing). If anyone has a less demanding (in terms of processing resources) way to produce this result I would be interested to hear it. Following the export I can the "undo" the clip to return the clipped elements to their original layers. I have used this method frequently in the past with previous versions of xtreme and not had this problem.
    As a matter of fact I just tried the same selection and clip on the same file in Pro 5 and it worked in seconds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hermansMap.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	77164  

well I'll be said the blind man.... ..
    Designer pro 5 does the "the select all" of your file in a split second on this machine. You're correct., must be some bug in the way 6 handles these layers. I have no clue, what it could be. Hopefully some one from XARA reads these things. It was interesting and another learning exercise for me. Thanks

true, but it still takes its time to actually do anything with it in xxp5 - on my machine anyhow....
    Nothing lasts forever...

In pro 5 the Ctrl+A, Q, Ctrl+Shift+E and Ctrl+Z operations go just as fast as I can hit the keys.

fair enough - I was thinking more along the lines of ungrouping it and converting the lines to shape, see if that was then easier to use in xdp6

this is a vector you have imported from another program I think? - it may be a difference in the import filters between the two versions of xara that interpret the grouping differently, however thats only a possibility..

always good to keep your previous versions handy
    Nothing lasts forever...