Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Large Backgrounds and Scrollbars

Hello,

I am working on a site which has some large images as the pasteboard background. They are working fine but I am getting scrollbars when viewing the page in a browser.

I would like to know if it is possible to have the large images act like a normal vector background on only fill the browser window space without scrollbars?

Monitors are getting larger and larger and I feel it is important not to have the image run out on a 2550x1440 monitor but still work with smaller models.

The unfinished site is here - www.thepivarals.com

Thanks!

Default Re: Large Backgrounds and Scrollbars

I think that John Horn (covoxer) may have a tweak for that.

Thanks. I have had some help and the backgrounds are working well now.

Hi Bassman!

Saw your site and it was real nice!! Good work! What i was wondering is that on my own site i would like to have the type of high quality slideshow that you have on your first page. I wonder which software you are using to make that?

Best regards // Kalle

Hey thanks for the compliment. I built the individual slides in photoshop (could also be done in Xara) and made the flash animation in Xara. What a great tool!

Bassman - Do you mind explaing exactly how you did the background? I have looked around talkgraphics and found a number of posts on the topic and some answers, but none seem to do what I want. They either wind up with the left side of the image aligned with the left side of the page (rather than centered) or I get scroll bars, or I can't change the margin at the top of the page without screwing everything up.

Your description would be well appreciated (and I like the way your site looks - very clean, punctuated by good quality pics in the Flash "banner").

Thanks. I stunbled my way through with the help of Sledger & company. The backgrounds really are simple but they need some HTML code to let the browser know they are backgrounds and not a photo.

Here is a link to the posts where it all was shown to me - http://board.xara-users.info/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=651

Another tip was to select the "pasteboard background" layer and drag a color onto it. Then when you drag an image for your background Xara treats it as an image and lets you adjust it around. Without it I think Xara wants to make it a background without letting you adjust.

Thanks for the compliments. I shot all of the photos and video as well. Keep on experimenting and asking questions. This Xara program is everything I have wanted in a web design program.

Thanks for the link Bassman. I am very familiar with using placeholders for this sort of thing, but for some reason I thought there was a "native" way to do it within Xara.

'preciate it - now I won't spend anymore time trying to find a feature that isn't there

No Problem. I still do not understand the use of the placeholder background layer with regards to images. I know it serves as a background for solid colors. Maybe that is all it is uspposed to do.