Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

WD6 Personalized Navigation Bars and Personalized Page Background

Hello and Good Day to all Members of talkgraphics forum. I like all the default navigation bars in XWD 6 templates but im kinda hoping i could make my own. what i want to customized a lot is the nav bar drop down sub menus. i tried to open it on Xara extreme pro 5 hoping i could edit it there but to no avail. i want the nav bar drop down menu to look exactly as the nav bar itself as shown on the attached image. and can i change the page background with an image instead of just solid color? many thanks! i love XARA!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	submenu 2.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	77080Click image for larger version. 

Name:	submenu 1.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	77081

Default Re: Personalized Navigation Bars and Personalized Page Background

Welcome to TalkGraphics

There are two ways to do this. One is pretty easy and the other involves a bit of work.

First the easy way. The menu style options are pretty limited to a colored rectangle and text. So, the easy way is create simple buttons, and then match the color and text style in the Menu Styles dialog (Web Properties). This works very well and creates clean, buttons with matching fly out sub menus.

The harder option, is if you want your buttons to be something other than solid rectangles with flat color, you can create fly out menus with buttons that match by putting your buttons on pop up layers. Here are a few tutorials that will give you the basic idea: http://www.xaraxone.com/guest/guest80/ and http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/wo...workbook_2.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	menu-style.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	77082  

Wow! thanks a lot gwpriester! how about the behind the page background? how to change the solid color into a tiled or stretched image?

You can call me Gary.

To change the page or background color, hold down the Ctrl key and drag and drop a color onto the page or background (the pasteboard area outside of the page). To add a bitmap fill, import an image into Xara or create a bitmap copy in Xara.

Open the Bitmap Gallery (F11), select the bitmap and Ctrl drag and drop it onto the page or onto the pasteboard area.

I got in trouble with this. ~ Wow, just noticed the post I'm responding to has been here for 10 years! ~ Anyway, if anyone's out there. I followed Gary's instructions (below), saved and closed. When I opened it again, decided I didn't like the background after all, and deleted the thumbnail from the gallery, leaving "bitmap placeholders." which couldn't be removed. Any ideas, in case I decide to experiment with this again?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    You can call me Gary.

To change the page or background color, hold down the Ctrl key and drag and drop a color onto the page or background (the pasteboard area outside of the page). To add a bitmap fill, import an image into Xara or create a bitmap copy in Xara.

Open the Bitmap Gallery (F11), select the bitmap and Ctrl drag and drop it onto the page or onto the pasteboard area.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
    ~ Wow, just noticed the post I'm responding to has been here for 10 years! ~
    Where are you looking Pamela? This thread was opened just 3 days ago: 11 October 2010
    Also, WD6 was only released this year..