Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default What is the best page size to build a web site with?

I have been playing about with page sizes for a website. If it's too small (pixels) my tiled background stops before reaching the edge of my wide-screen computer. If it's too wide I end up with a scroll bar.

How do you get around this problem please?

Default Re: What is the best page size to build a web site with?

If everybody used the same size monitor this would not be a problem. But people have different sized monitors at different resolutions and then there is the matter of browsers. I have my browser set up with my bookmarks on the left and I have reduced the width so I can see other objects on my desktop.

In short, design a website that presents your content in a good readable size and don't worry about the perfect page size, because there really isn't one.

I use the 955 px option most of the time since I can check on my 15.6" laptop and see how things look.
    It's standard resolution and old, so I figure most people can view it without ending up with a horizontal bar at the bottom.

Thanks for the help. If you have a white background with a website like myspace where everything is within a central box, I imagine the problem is greatly reduced. But looking at the login homepage on Facebook there are two blue strips that run off either side at the top of the page. If I change my screen resolution the blue bars still run off the sides, and only until I set it at 800x600 resolution do I get a scroll bar at the bottom. I'm not sure how to do this as I want to use a jpeg tiled in the background and I would like it to run off the sides of the page without a scroll bar appearing.