Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default CDR file import in XX5

I see from the dropdown list on import file types that *.cdr files should (could) be imported, but I try this and get a box that says "file not recognised by any of the installed filters".

So I need to instal a filter to recognise cdr files - HELP - how and where can I get one of these?

Any help or pointers appreciated.
    Alan

Default Re: CDR file import in XX5

Only CorelDRAW CDR files from versions 3,4 & 5 are supported.
    Version 6 to X5 are not. Though if you have access to the version which created the file you are trying to import, you could try exporting to PDF from CorelDraw and them importing that.
    Alternatively, try to convert to eps using on online converter?

Thanks Steve - I don't have access to the software that created the file and unfortunately have no idea which version of coreldraw created it - but I did try the online converter route only to be confronted with an error I think may be something to do with my ISP who I will talk to tomorrow.

In saying that only coreldraw versions 3 4 and 5 are supported, how do we go about importing one of those?
    Alan

I find that copy from CD X4 and paste into Xtreme Pro 5 or Designer Pro 6 works better than exporting to any format.

Forget about going from XXP5 or XDP6 to CD X4 using copy and paste, Corel will only allow paste as a raster image.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Just to clarify the issue - I have downloaded a cdr file from a web site and wish to work on it in XX5
    Alan

Alan is the file available to anyone for download? I could convert the file for you.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

You could always download the 30-day, fully functional trial version of CorelDraw X5 and convert it yourself?

1st - yes Bill the file is freely available (you have to register to get it) and its available from:

http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/logo/motoerhead

but to save you the trouble I have attached it. (I had to zip it as for some reason the TalkGraphics file uploader could not see the .cdr file).

and no I'm not a motorhead fan, I'm working on something for a friend who is.

2nd - yes Steve I could I suppose d/l the CD free trial, but this is looking a mighty serious exercise for something that started out as a bit of fun. Nice idea if I had a bit more spare time which I haven't - but thank you anyway.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Alan

Used to have CorelDRAW Graphic Suite 4 or 5 installed but I never used it so when I transferred to my new computer, it got left behind.

Someone here is bound to be able to open this and save it in a usable format.

Well seems that Inkscape will open a CDR, though the layering and colouring was a little odd.
    I exported from IS to PDF, then opened the PDF in Xara, corrected the layering and colours according to the original at BOTW.

See attached.
    Cheaper than CorelDraw and faster than downloading the trial too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010-10-06_113633.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	77010  
    Attached Files Attached Files