Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi

The other thing that has always driven me nuts is this: If you type in some text and hit F2 (for the Selector tool), you get this weird but apparently useless mode of selection involving a dotted line around the object...

But you cant move the text object with the cursor keys etc.

What is this mode *FOR*? (And how do I stop it from occurring?!!)

Ship
    Shiperton Henethe

Hi

The other thing that has always driven me nuts is this: If you type in some text and hit F2 (for the Selector tool), you get this weird but apparently useless mode of selection involving a dotted line around the object...

But you cant move the text object with the cursor keys etc.

What is this mode *FOR*? (And how do I stop it from occurring?!!)

Ship
    Shiperton Henethe

It works fine for me, I just get the selector tool and the text gets the selector handles around th text, which I can then stretch, skew or rotate. If I use the cursor arrows I can move the text up / down or left / right.
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

It happens when you use the text tool to select drag-select text and hit the F2 key. If you just click once inside the text object with the text tool and hit F2 you should be able to move it with the arrow keys.

This is one of those bugs that's more annoying than crippling. I'd put it up there with the "ctrl-clicking on a text object selects a single letter" bug.

All Your Graphic Are Belong To Us
    All Your Graphic Are Belong To Us

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'd put it up there with the "ctrl-clicking on a text object selects a single letter" bug.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> OMG! That drives me NUTS! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/mad.gif

I think the reason for the rectangle around the text is to show, when using the F2 selector tool, that a subset of the text object is selected, rather than the whole text object. So when, for example, you click a colour, you'll see only the part of the text take on the colour attribute and not the whole text object.

The Ctrl Click select inside 'bug' that selects a single character is not a bug either, but just following the normal select rules. a Ctrl-click selects the smallest single object inside the group that you clicked on, which in this case is a single character rather than the whole text object. However I'll agree this behaviour is quite annoying sometimes, especially when you want the text object and not the character in the text object to be selected.

There is a slightly unusual work-around. When any object is selected, pressing tab selects the next object in the group (and Shift-tab selects the previous). So if you've accidentally selected a character inside a group, press tab followed by Shift-tab - and now the whole text object becomes selected instead.

Charles

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>There is a slightly unusual work-around. When any object is selected, pressing tab selects the next object in the group (and Shift-tab selects the previous). So if you've accidentally selected a character inside a group, press tab followed by Shift-tab - and now the whole text object becomes selected instead.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My usual method of selecting a whole text object when it's grouped, clipviewed etc, is to select the Text tool (F8), click between two characters (as if you were to want to type some more text) and then return to the Select tool (F2). This leaves you with the whole text object selected.

It's quick once you get into the habit, F8, click, F2.

(Or, if the purpose of selecting is to make some text formatting changes (block font change, colour change etc), F8, click, ESC is better, since the whole text object is selected, but the Text tool remains selected so you can change text attributes).

Mark: "OMG! That drives me NUTS!"

Ditto here!!!

K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>My usual method of selecting a whole text object when it's grouped, clipviewed etc, is to select the Text tool (F8), click between two characters (as if you were to want to type some more text) and then return to the Select tool (F2). This leaves you with the whole text object selected.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yep, you're right, that is a much better method. I'll remember that for future.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Or, if the purpose of selecting is to make some text formatting changes (block font change, colour change etc), F8, click, ESC is better, since the whole text object is selected, but the Text tool remains selected.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yes I use the ESC thing all the time to select the text object. It's one of the more subtle Xara X short-cuts, but really useful if you have a lot of separate text objects on the page and what to switch between them.

Good to have you here. Officially. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

<a href="http://www.xaraxone.com">
    The Xara Xone </a>