Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Out of Memory error

Is there any way to optimize jpeg pictures to a better quality than 96 dpi? Not optimizing my jpeg files in order to get good quality reproduction causes my design to refuse any more pictures -- I get an "Out of Memory" error message.

Default Re: Out of Memory error

Sorry to move your post to the General Designer Pro & Photo Forum instead of Dear Xara where you posted it to but I thought it would be better suited here.

To answer your question there is two areas that you can use to control the resolution of large bitmaps, one in the the "Page Options" the other is just a "right click" when the Bitmap is selected.
    Let's get rid of the Page Options first, go to the "View" tab and you have the option in the Bitmap section to specify what dpi you want "when auto generated". I don't tend to use that one and as you can see I haven't highlighted that in red. I tend to use one of the other two which are highlighted the main one as I do a lot Newsletters "Resize large imported bitmaps down to ____ pixels" and I use around 600 pixels and with my camera that gives me around 200 dpi which is enough for my needs. If you want to use the other "Import at size specified by image file" means you will need to resize them anyway as the will come in very large indeed.

The right click method I use is to set the dpi precisely by using the "Photo Optimise" when the window appears after right clicking by selecting "Change Photo Resolution" and the hit the radio button on "Resolution" and then specifying what res. you want, I tend to use 150 for my work which is fine for both the paper which is used and the quality of print that I get from my printers and I don't use Jpeg, use PNG.

Hope that helps and sorry to move your thread to here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Page_options.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	76975   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Res_settings.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	76976  

Design is thinking made visual.