Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Another Xara Xtreme 5 Out of Memory Case! Help needed!

Hello there people.

Any help would be most appreciated.

My issue is the following: -

I use one single file just short of 48mb which I add to on a weekly basis. This file is simply a large board of cut out images of mine I use on my e-commerce shop. I do not upload it to a website or anything like that from what I have been reading on other peoples OOM issues. I was working on the file yesterday, clicked save then it was acting slow. I managed after a few minutes to close the (crashed) Xara down, then proceeded to try and reopen it. That's when I got the dreaded OOM pop up. I have used msconfig to shut down programs from starting on boot up, I have a PC with more than sufficient memory with only about 10% of its hard drive being used. I rebooted and made sure minimal programs were working but still I have this issue.

I don't have an older back up....not good I know but surely after looking at other peoples cases with HUGE files that they are uploading with too, i would like to think my little 48mb collage would be safe......?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

JM.

Default Re: Another Xara Xtreme 5 Out of Memory Case! Help needed!

Hi JM,

Yes it happens from time to time to us all.. Generally that's also when you remember you didn't make a backup
    Try the expandxar program. Most of the time you do get results.

Thank you so so so much! How do i prevent this in the future? Surely by keeping two copies in won't make any odds as they would both fail?!

Onec again thank you so much!

Remember that bitmaps (images/photos) are stored in compressed forms - either PNG or JPEG. To render those bitmaps on screen the program has decompress them in memory and so your 48M file will actually use much more memory when you load it in to edit it.

You can use the Windows Task Manager to see how much memory the program is using.

Phil

48MB is NOT a little file by any stretch of the imagination.

It's never a bad idea to keep backups. It sounds like the file itself has gotten corrupted, so I would agree, Expandxar seems to be the way to go.

-- Ben

well... its big if its vector only...

but its not that big if its stuffed full of bitmaps - I have some xtreme files around 350Mb in size
    [it has to be said xtreme 2 is maybe better at handling these than some of the later versions, but that is a maybe... I only need them for archive these days]
    Last edited by handrawn; 30 September 2010 at 04:45 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi,

I was struggling yesterday with a similar problem. I had several pictures of CD Covers that were 300DPI PNG real size, even if in the document they would become thumbnails. I was keeping the 300DPI to be sure that once printed it would have had the right resolution. There was a layer with all the original PNG 300DPI hidden, and then the thumbnails were created with BOXES with BITMAP FILL using the images from the hidden layer.
    At a certain point Xara started to became slow and then I started to get OOM and "Application is not responding" Win7 message.
    I realized that the only way to work was to :
    - RESIZE the original 13x13cm and 25x25cm 300DPI images in the hidden layers to just the double size of the thumbnail boxes (4x4cm).
    - SELECT EACH 300DPI image and choose "Optimize Image..." from the right click menu.

Then the OOM disappeared.
    I think (not really sure) to have however still maintained around 300DPI for a size 2x2 of my thumbnails.

Cheers

At the end