Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why are my PNG exports pixellated?

Im having a hard time with the quality of PNG files exported from vectors I have created in Xara. Ive tried tweaking the anti-aliasing, and have tried scaling the original image to be a closer size to the output, but the images are still low res and blocky when I try to put them in my website. Ive also tried using different output formats, but they are still blocky in JPG and BMP. Can anyone twll me what the trick is to get PNG's to export and retain decent quality?

One of the pictures I am really struggling with is about 20mmx20mm. Its so blocky the text is unreadable. What do I have to do to get it to look the way it does in Xara before I exported it?

Default Re: Why are my PNG exports pixellated?

Welcome to TalkGraphics OF

Two possible problems come to mind. Are you exporting at 96dpi (the default)?

Make that three things. Are you creating and viewing your vector graphics at 100% zoom factor?

And are you exporting with the transparent background option?

OK four questions. Are you exporting with a transparent background against a white page and then viewing your bitmap over a colored background?

It's possible that your PNG export settings are *set* on 256 or even 16 colour.

Check the export settings palette options and make sure to select 'True Color + Alpha' ;

Name:  settings.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  2.8 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	png-palette-options.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	76882

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Welcome to TalkGraphics OF

Two possible problems come to mind. Are you exporting at 96dpi (the default)?

Make that three things. Are you creating and viewing your vector graphics at 100% zoom factor?

And are you exporting with the transparent background option?

OK four questions. Are you exporting with a transparent background against a white page and then viewing your bitmap over a colored background?
    Thankyou both for your replies.

I had a look at the export settings. Export is set to 'true color + alpha'

1. Yes. 100% zoom.

2. Yes. Transparent background.

3. DPI was 196. On a whim I set it to 300 but this did not seem to make much difference.

4. Transparent background over a white background.
    Last edited by 0ldfart; 27 September 2010 at 02:10 AM.

make the DPI 96. This is the normal screen resolution.

The only time you would want a higher resolution would be for printed media.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thankyou Bill. I have set DPI to 96 and will keep it at this setting.

Unfortunately the output files are not improved.

Can you supply a file? Because if you have followed all of our recommendations, you SHOULD be getting a nice quality output.

I was taught to export graphics at 200% from xara then scale them down in photoshop :S

Why?

Or perhaps I should ask, "how long ago did your advisor come up with that procedure"?

I export pngs from XDP routinely without pixelation. As Bill says, if the png is intended for online viewing, export at 96dpi. Go higher only for print.

Higher dpi bitmaps don't always display very well online. (Depends on the target app.) In some cases, I do get a sharper image at 96dpi if I make a 300dpi bitmap copy, then export from the bitmap copy at 96dpi (which is sort of what your advisor is doing). That won't do much if the source image was only 96dpi to begin with.

is the png being resized after export from xara, by html tag or by processing in another program for example? if so you need to take this into account when you export

have you used mould tool, or transparency type other than mix, or any live effects?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...