Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Clickable PDF - multilayer

Hi all,

I'm looking at creating some improved documentation files in PDF format. I realize the capabilities of PDF are immense, multiply these with Xara's capabilities, and you may create steroid PDF's..

Just as a test, I created a 2 page Xara doc, with a link on each page to jump back and forth. Then exported as PDF. This works perfectly well, and the links are perfectly clickable!

Now would this be possible:
    Say you have a process that you need to execute in multiple steps.
    I would then think of each step as 1 image (maybe grouped items in a drawing)
    Would it be possible to have one "image" on 1 page, underneath, I'd have say 5 steps / clickable buttons, each button click would show it's linked image.

I've tried to do this, Acrobat can view the layers, you can also enable/disable them, but I would like this to be linked to the clickable 'buttons'.
    Can this be done?
    See attached example.

Here's also a link to open source Scribus mentioning clickable elements in PDF. I haven't investigated this yet. http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Ge...e_PDF_Elements

Is there any tutorial covering these Xara capabilities more in depth? (PDF & layers)

Thanks a lot!

Erwin

pdf_animation_layers.xar
    pdf_animation_layers-2.pd.pdf
    Erwin Panen

Default Re: Clickable PDF - multilayer

No tutorials that I have done. But this does not mean they don't exist.

The best way to figure out if something will work is to try it. You have already discovered that forward and back buttons work. See what happens if you create something on a layer and link to it. I don't think it will work, but you never know.

Default Re: Clickable PDF - multilayer

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your reply;
    I tried to do this, in fact this is exactly what I did in my attached file. That's why I'm surprised with your answer.
    I DO know for sure that this IS possible. In fact, in Acrobat Reader you CAN select the layers that I've created in my sample.
    But this is not what I want.
    I would want / need to create 'a' button or link to switch to the appropriate layer.

The reason why I asked here on the forum, is that I can't imagine there's nobody around that has not gone any further in PDF usage 'in depth' as they say. I have a copy of Sid Steward's PDF Hacks, unfortunately it's not really up to date (2004).

I've also been doing some tests with creating GIF animations, but as I realize I don't exactly 'master' this art (yet), I'm not sure if this would be an option. (create a link to e.g. the fourth position in a 12 image GIF)
    I do think animated GIF's may be incorporated in PDF. The same goes for flash.

What's important is that I can stay on the same page. I wouldn't want to create say 10 copies of page#1 and then change each page according my intentions, and link to the appropriate page.

Think of it like a cartoon. But instead of viewing all the images on 'one' page, you would have to press 'next' or 'back' to view the next or previous image...
    Perfect for presenting 'before' and 'after' effects.

I do appreciate your feedback, maybe this might be something for a forthcoming XaraXone? (Only I can't wait )

Erwin
    Erwin Panen