Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thumbs up Relative vs. Absolute URLs in Linking

I am developing a site for a client who has a website he built himself on Godaddy using their web builder system. that system cannot be "migrated" over to the hosted domain name. Therefore, if I upload anything to the domainname.com, the existing site will be lost. The client is sort of "weird" about losing the site before the new one is done although there frankly isn't much activity at the existing site.

Go daddy has set up a development URL called dev.domainname.com.

So far I've been uploading the new site and its pages to the development site even though the URLs and navigation are set to domainname.com because I really don't want to set them to dev.domainname.com/page.htm and then have to go back and change them once we're ready to make the switch.

Problem is, its cumbersome to send my client every URL, every page I've created with content on it. He can't click the nav bar or links on the pages i'm uploading because they are not set to dev.domainname.com/page.htm but to domainname.com/page.htm.

If i was working in a hard code editor, I could set the relative URL as /page.htm (for example) which would simply go to that page.htm whatever the domain happens to be.

Is there a way to do this in XaraWD6?

I hope this makes sense.
    Last edited by Mpaige; 20 September 2010 at 10:11 PM. Reason: clarification

Default Re: Relative vs. Absolute URLs in Linking

Of course. In the Web Properties >>Link to Web or Email address: simply add page.htm and uncheck the 'Correct automatically'
    This is a 'relative' link. Your index.htm must be in the same folder of the same domain as page.htm of course, else it isn't a relative URL you need, it would be an absolute one.

Thanks.

I saw that. So you're saying UNcheck "correct automatically" not, CHECK? I just want to be sure I understand what you're saying.

Yes, remove the tick, otherwise Xara will create the link as: http://page.htm

Great. thanks SO much.