Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Photo popup problem

I have a number of photo galleries on my site and use popups to allow users to see larger versions of the images.

Here is an example:
    http://www.salksound.com/songtower%20images.htm

For some reason, photos on the page linked below are loading on their own pages rather than as pop-ups. I have reviewed the settings and they all appear to be the same. Any ideas why the images on the following page won't load as popups? (Open link in: is set to "Not Specified" in all of these).

http://www.salksound.com/ht2-TL%20-%20images.htm

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

- Jim

Default Re: Photo popup problem

Could you upload the offending page as a web/xar file ?

Jim - both pages work 100% fine for me.

Strange that it works now for both Drwyd and sledger -- when I click the tower images in the first link, they do, indeed, popup to the larger image hovering over the same page -- but on the page reached by the second link, when I click a tower image the expanded image opens in the upper left corner of a page by itself.

Even odder -- when I "view source" on the two pages, the href's appear pretty much identical. Something, perhaps, with a javascript path / library?

- Jon

None of them are popping up now. (second link)

Thanks, all, for the help and comments. Sorry, I was trying to fix things yesterday afternoon and messed things up for a while. I think I got it back to where it was, but the same issue remains.

Quote Originally Posted by jonazen View Post
    Strange that it works now for both Drwyd and sledger -- when I click the tower images in the first link, they do, indeed, popup to the larger image hovering over the same page -- but on the page reached by the second link, when I click a tower image the expanded image opens in the upper left corner of a page by itself.
    Yes, that is exactly the problem. And I have no idea why since the options are all set the same. (At least as far as I can tell.)

Even odder -- when I "view source" on the two pages, the href's appear pretty much identical. Something, perhaps, with a javascript path / library?
    How would I check that and why would one page work differently than all the others?

- Jim

I think the twighlight zone has struck.

Second link (ht2-TL - images.htm), top left image, opens in a full page but after "backspace" the same image pops up A refresh takes it back to opening full page.

Quote Originally Posted by jsalk View Post
    Thanks, all, for the help and comments. Sorry, I was trying to fix things yesterday afternoon and messed things up for a while. I think I got it back to where it was, but the same issue remains.

Yes, that is exactly the problem. And I have no idea why since the options are all set the same. (At least as far as I can tell.)

How would I check that and why would one page work differently than all the others?

- Jim
    Right-clicking on the page in any of the browsers and selecting "view source" will show you what the browser is receiving from the server. In Chrome, you can also right-click on a specific portion of the page and select "inspect element" for a lot of interesting detail (some would replace the word "interesting" with "painful").

- Jon

OMG (sorry -- I have young teens at home) -- it does the exact same thing for me -- in Firefox. In Google Chrome, backspace returns me to the main page, but does NOT eliminate the bad popup behavior. IE8 acts just like Chrome. It seems that only Firefox will display the popup over the grayed out page with this second link, and only after navigating back via the backspace key. Weird.

I DID notice something a bit unusual about the way the URL was formed. I doubt this has anything to do with the issue, but having worked with software for umpteen years, I tend to notice pretty much anything that's different when playing detective:

Maybe it's silly to think this might be connected...but I noticed that the URL in the first link has one embedded blank (%20) in it, and the second link has two embedded blanks embedded in it. This probably has NOTHING to do with the issue at all, but it IS a visible difference. It's conceivable that the Highslide JavaScript used to manage the popup has to parse the parent URL and somehow gets confused with multiple embedded blanks? Unlikely, but it's one of the possibilities I'd check if I couldn't come up with anything else.

Let's see...other things to check, when comparing the pages:

In Designer Pro (that's what you're using?), have you compared all the options between the two pages for the popups?

Are the images on the same layer on both pages? Are there are groups, soft groups, etc that might be different from one page to the next? Have you added any page-level HTML that's different on one page vs the other?

- Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Drwyd View Post
    I think the twighlight zone has struck.

Second link (ht2-TL - images.htm), top left image, opens in a full page but after "backspace" the same image pops up A refresh takes it back to opening full page.