Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Need layer help ASAP please

I am sure someone has asked this before, and believe me I have looked( and looked and looked )and searched( and searched and searched )through this forum, but I just don't see an answer. I actually want to use a layer that opens/is visible when the page it is on opens/loads( without having to manually open it )that you can then close and have it be hidden after reading it. A true popup if you will.

I have a site I do where they need to make emergency announcements from time to time to their members that have to be impossible to miss. I am currently using a simple Javascript popup code that has a message open as the page loads and they have to click OK to continue on. It is very limited though in what you can do with it. I need to be able to add links and even some graphics.

I would like to create a layer with a box and the info that appears on the page when the page 1st opens that the visitor must close/hide manually. That way they can't miss the info. I just can't seem to come up with a way to close/hide a visible layer that is open when the page loads?

Is it possible in WD( I have WD5 btw not WD6 )to have a layer that automatically opens when the page 1st loads/opens that you can add a close button to which will close/hide the layer when you click it?

I would really appreciate any help with this. If it has been covered I apologize. I did look and just couldn't come up with it.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Default Re: Need layer help ASAP please

That doesn't do what I asked I don't think??? Unless I am stupid or something which is definitely possible?

I don't want to be required click any buttons to "open" the layer( be visible - it should be there visible when the page opens ). I want to be able to "close" the layer as the only required act( i.e. hide a layer that is visible, automatically, when the page 1st opens ).

This is for the site's home page so the layer needs to be there visible automatically when the site loads with no act required by the visitor. The layer in question should then be able to be closed, or hidden, by the "close" button/text.

Can that be done is the question and if so how? It doesn't appear to me your link does that quite how I need it done. Maybe I am missing something or maybe I just don't understand what is written or shown in the example? What I get out of all that is needing a button to open what you want open and that isn't going to work for me. I can do that without adding special script.

I want a layer that is visible over the main layer(s)when the page 1st opens to hide when you click a "close" button/text. Maybe it can't be done or as said maybe I am slow and just don't get what that link shows???

Here is an example of what I mean. I did a quick sample page and took a screen shot just to show it so people are sure of what I mean( visually - obviosuly doesn't work ).

I want the home page to open like this( without me having to click any buttons )...

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...er/visible.jpg

Then click the "close" button or text to have it hide the layer so the page looks like this...

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...der/hidden.jpg
    Last edited by gsthunder; 14 September 2010 at 01:13 PM.

It does, but only in V5.

Any javascript ninjas know how to make this work in V6 ?

I have version 5 actually. I guess I just don't understand the How To directions because it sounds like I have to add a button people click on to make it work and that is not what I need?

The button is not there for people to click, it is to enable the placeholder script to work.

In the attached example the button has been made 99.5% transparent
    Attached Files Attached Files

You might find what you are looking for here http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex8/
    There are many of these sites that provide code for that type of pop-up windows.
    Do a search you will find a suitable one.

Quote Originally Posted by Drwyd View Post
    The button is not there for people to click, it is to enable the placeholder script to work.

In the attached example the button has been made 99.5% transparent
    YES! That is what I want. In the link given the example pages when viewed( preview )do not do what I want. Your example, previewed, does what I want. THANK YOU! Now I just have to get it to work on my site( I can hide the button in the background/border no problem ).

Thank you again.

Glad I could help

Quote Originally Posted by Drwyd View Post
    Glad I could help
    I can't get it to close for some reason when I do it. It opens with the page whether I have the layer checked visible or hidden but it won't close?

No idea what I am doing wrong here? Your example works perfect. I can't close mine.

HELP

EDIT - Do I need to update my version of WD5 or something for this to work? As said your attached file works fine. I can not make it work if I do it manually in my program however. Copy your stuff and paste into a new project on my system and it fails again???

Says I have version 5.0.2.10712 DL
    Last edited by gsthunder; 14 September 2010 at 02:22 PM.