Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Sitewide Navbar and password protected subdirectory

I'm using Web Designer 6.

The site-wide navbar breaks on the page that is in a subdirectory. The one page needs to be in the subdirectory because the client wants it to be password protected and we've decided to go with .htaccess to do it. The problem is that the scripting for the navbar assumes that the links are contained within the same subdirectory, but, of course, they aren't. They reside in the non-password protected main directory. I tried editing the htm files on the server to correct the filepath so that it would go up a directory and find the correct htm file, but the navbar isn't "seeing" these manual changes to the htm files on the server.

Has anyone run into this issue and found a solution. The only other way I can figure out to fix it is to not use a sitewide navbar on this page. I'm concerned I'm going to have to eliminate the navbar for that page and just stick a button on it "back to the homepage". Which I would rather not do, since it'll not look consistent with the other pages.

Default Re: Sitewide Navbar and password protected subdirectory

All your links should be relative and not absolute, but since that's giving you problems, try adding a BASE tag into the HEAD of the subdirectory page:

http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tag_base.asp

HIH
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Welcome to TalkGraphics amgriffin

The links were generated automatically in Web Desiger 6 using the site wide navbar feature, so they were site-root relative already. My navbar wouldn't have broken if I didn't move the one page into a different directory post-publishing. I added a special instruction to each navbar link to go up to the main directory which corrected the problem.

That was before I read your message, which probably would have saved me manually editing all the links on the navbar. I'll remember your instruction next time.

Thank you. I appreciate your quick feedback! I'll be looking for your name next time I need help.