Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can't unlock a layer

I'm using DP6 and Vista.
    I have a 10 page web site and I'm trying to adjust the Page Background layer on a page. The Shadow Group layer is locked and I cannot unlock it.

I tried doing it on other pages that have same background layers and they lock and unlock fine. I did find another page that has the same problem.

Anybody have the "key" to my problem?
    Thank you, Peter

Default Re: Can't unlock a layer

Quote Originally Posted by Grampy Peter View Post
    I'm using DP6 and Vista.
    I have a 10 page web site and I'm trying to adjust the Page Background layer on a page. The Shadow Group layer is locked and I cannot unlock it.

I tried doing it on other pages that have same background layers and they lock and unlock fine. I did find another page that has the same problem.

Anybody have the "key" to my problem?
    Thank you, Peter
    I think I had the same problem. In my case it was a layer containing a shadow, which cotained an object with a shadow. The solution was to view the layer in solo mode and remove the group's shadow, then to remove the object's shadow. Then the group could have a new shadow applied. I hope this is any help!

Meta

Thanks for the reply Meta. There is no Solo mode on any of my background layers. The layer in question is locked so I can't do anything with it.
    My work around was to duplicate the Page Background from one of my good pages and drag the good layers to the page with the bad layers. Then I clicked on the eye of the bad layers to make them not visible. I cannot delete the bad layers without it also deleting the Pasteboard background and I did not want to do that. At least not now. I might do it later based on some more possible comments to my posting. These background layers are "sacred ground" I think. Peter

I have encountered similar problems.

Select a different layer, the click the padlock on the layer you wish to unlock.

Let us know if this works.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	76610

Hi Gary. Well, I tried your idea and can't unlock it even after trying many combinations of layers and pages.
    For what it's worth, I have attached a snip of the Page Background from my "Christian Links" page. The first two Group layers on The Page Background layer I copied from another working page. The first group of the bottom two Group layers is the one with the stuck lock. I have those two hidden. I cannot delete the locked layer without it also deleting the pasteboard background. I don't know why there are two shadow groups on the Page background. Should there be two? I started out with the "Alpha" template and made many mods along the way. I might have put two shadow groups there by mistake.

You can view the web site at www.kingstoncc.org. Can you deduce anything about the problem by looking at the source code for the page with Internet Explorer? I can send you my xar file if it will help.

My "Youth Ministry" page has the same problem.

Thanks for the help.

xdp6 Re: Can't unlock a layer

Hi again Gary. I deleted all the content from all but the two pages containing the locked layer problem in order to reduce the file size. I have attached the xar file containing all the content on the two offending pages, Christian Links and Youth Ministry. Maybe you can do something with it. BTW, the layer is still locked even with only the two pages. Peter
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi GP

Not sure how this situation came about but I think the quickest solution is to delete the offending layers. Dragging a colour to either the page or pasteboard backgrounds will re-generate the layers.

Thanks for the suggestion Drwyd. I went through all 10 of my pages and deleted the background layers and rebuilt them as you suggested. Now they alll look alike and look good. And, my locked layers are gone.

Gary, I am out of the woods for now. I don't know if the problem I had is a bug in DP6 or if it was some strange sequence of events that I did, so you can do as you will as far as further investigation goes. Thanks to you both for being so responsive. Xara has a great support system of kiind, helpful volunteers. GP

This is the solution:

Right-click>>Unlock all on page

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unlock-all.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	76616

You got it again Steve!! Thank you. I never saw that option before...of course I wasn't looking for it before either. GP

Seems strange that the individual unlock click would not remove the lock, but the global unlock command did.