Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

...to think I saw anything but "Xara Webstyle 2.0" as the featured software on the cover disc. Someone opened the magazine (it's usually shrink-wrapped), so I was able to browse the CD index INSIDE the magazine. The two-page review of the program states "Unrestricted, full version" where it says "Limitations."

They even give you instructions on how to access the clipart/font galleries by loading them from the cover CD.

[This message was edited by smorg on August 31, 2001 at 15:58.]

Gary: "I was about to nominate Jay for the Klaus Nordby Premature Exit Award"

I wonder what the f... that means???

K???
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Ross writes:

"I think what Jens was saying is the association between Xara X and WebStyle weakens the credibility of Xara X as a professional tool. Continuing on with how I think Jens was thinking, if Xara Ltd. wants to position Xara as at least an equal to the professional tools market leaders then products like WebStyle work against that. One message in the WebStyle marketing copy is that Xara Ltd. doesn't repect the work of pros."

I can certainly understand that argument, but a case could also be made the other way. In my limited experience it doesn't appear to be unusual for the big graphic companies to produce "light" versions of their heavy-duty apps.

In my mind, this lends credibility to the professional nature of the heavy-duty apps. The producers, in effect, are sending the message that the main application really is more of a professional tool, so novices such as myself should consider working with a more user-friendly version of the full version. Leave the real intensive work to the professionals using their high-end products.

Not trying to be argumentative, just presenting a view from a different angle.

Carry on.

.joroho.
    Wise men still seek Him.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Gary: "I was about to nominate Jay for the Klaus Nordby Premature Exit Award"
    I wonder what the f... that means??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was referring to a few years back when you were upset (to put it mildly) because you felt the Xara folks were not taking your new feature suggestions for Xara 3 seriously and you said to hell with Xara (or words to that effect) and you were leaving.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    Be it ever so humble...</a>

Jens,
    In looking at your talent in graphic design I think you have nothing to fear with any high tech graphics package, because the high tech graphics packages do not inherently have the faculty of imagination. To produce and create visual art like your mind is capable of doing, whatever Xara does will affect your potential market and future like a drop in a bucket. Your work is truly awesome! IMHO!
    Ken Broome
    www.coyotehillenterprises.com