Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Des Pro 6 - error leading to loss of file!

I have used Xara since day one or thereabouts. This is the first version which is causing to me grief. I am constantly getting an error message which says: "An error occurred (permission denied) when opening the file" and then gives the file path.

The file is then lost by the program, by which I mean deleted. The only temporary work round is to click off the dialog box and 'save as' to another file.

Does anyone know what's going on? Thanks.

Steve
    Screenshot hopefully attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara-error.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	76501  

Default Re: Des Pro 6 - error leading to loss of file!

Hi Steve

I have no idea what could be causing this problem. It is not one I have encountered.

I have asked the Xara people to have a look and see if they have any suggestions.

Probably get a response tomorrow sometime.

Hi

Exactly when does the error occur? For example, are you creating a file and saving it as pat.xar and then continuing to work on the file? Does the error then occur when clicking on the save icon? or are you selecting the file menu followed by save as?

Additionally, when you say 'the file is deleted', is it deleted from the location it was saved to or is the document closed within the program?

Is the problem specific to the particular file? If for example you create a new document, apply a rectengle and attempt to save it, then does the same problem occur? Does the save location affect the problem? Finally is the D drive one of your hard disk drives?

Thanks

The error occurs when saving a file.
    It is physically deleted from the location - not even in the Recycle Bin!
    It has happened with any/all of my .xar files
    D is my Data drive - a separate hard disk

Thanks for your help.

Steve

HI Steve, im still a little lost. Are you saying the problem occurs when overwriting a file which has previously been saved? so for example the following causes the problem to occur?

1. create a file and save it to your d drive
    2. edit the file and click on save. - at this stage the error is shown and the file created in step 1 is deleted?

Does this occur if you are saving to another drive other than the D drive?

Quote Originally Posted by bb2 View Post
    HI Steve, im still a little lost. Are you saying the problem occurs when overwriting a file which has previously been saved? so for example the following causes the problem to occur?

1. create a file and save it to your d drive
    2. edit the file and click on save. - at this stage the error is shown and the file created in step 1 is deleted?

Does this occur if you are saving to another drive other than the D drive?
    As I'm using DP6 I will occasionally use the 'save' icon on the toolbar at the top of the program. About 80% of the time this works just fine but then for the rest of the time I will get the weird 'permission denied' error message, as above. I've used every version of Xara up to the present day and this is the first time ever that this kind of thing has happened.

And yes, the file is simply deleted. I was more than a bit shocked when it first happened, as I clicked OK and lost everything I was working on at the time. Now, I 'save as' to a different file name. I still lose the original file but I have an identical one to continue with.

I've used a physically separate data drive for something like 15 years now and this has never been anything but a safe and convenient method of keeping data secure, away from the vagaries of OS crashes etc.

Thanks for your help.

Hi

Please can you submit a support ticket regarding this problem. Its not something I can reproduce and am currently at a loss why your'e encountering this problem intermittently. (around 20% of the time)

Please include a link to this forum post within the ticket submission

Thanks

OK. Thanks. Will do.

Steve