Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Text Justify in Xara 6

Hi there,

Can I do a full 'left & right' Text Justification in Xara 6?

I have the demo version and can see that you can Justify Left, Center & Right.
    But like my text to be fully justified like in a book.

It's the one thing holding me back from buying it.

Thanks if you can help.

Guy

Default Re: Text Justify in Xara 6

Hi themodeller,
    Welcome to Talkgraphics!
    The quick answer to your question is yes. You can justify text in Designer Pro. Note however that Designer PRO doesn´t support hyphenation. So it will be hard to format a block of text as it should be done at a professional level unless you do it manually, which is very time consuming and not practical in daily use, not to mention almost impossible for long text documents.

I´ve been requesting this feature for some time now, but i have no idea if it´s being considered for implementation or not.

Quote Originally Posted by themodeller View Post
    I have the demo version and can see that you can Justify Left, Center & Right.
    But like my text to be fully justified like in a book.
    Xara don't have any 'Demo' versions.
    The 30 day trials are fully functional commercial versions of their software.

Hi,

Slegder ok, I have the trial version, but the point is it won't Fully Text Justify.

MEB thanks, I just dont wnat to spend that much.

I have been using Antenna which is a good platform but not as versatile and well supported as Xara, it's just that even though it is basic it does allow full text justification wich I just think looks a lot neater.

Buying it anyway, but thanks for the reply.

G

Yes, Designer Pro 6 will fully justify text .... use the full justify button shown.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	76445  
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Gonna give you a small break here guy. Nobody has bothered mentioning that you need a text box. So, go look in the help for text area and that will put you on the right track. Xara will do full text justify exactly the same as Open Office, just checked that out myself....no difference at all.

Now, I am going to give you a hint.........for free. If you ever try to copy a bunch of text off of an existing web page and paste it into xara, it will just be one line of text that runs off the right hand side of the page and for all I know keeps on going till the middle of the Atlantic. So before pasting, create a text area or text box, then paste it and Bob's your uncle, you have a nice box of text that you can resize horizontally or vertically, can do all the text justification...........frank

Well. It works OK if the font size is small and the column width is wide. But otherwise, as the column width narrows, the lack of auto-hyphenation makes for some large gaps between words. For what it's worth, left-justified is most readable (from an advertising-marketing perspective). And there's something about not wanting to be all things to all people... Xara and WD are really design tools, and you'd want to use Word or Framemaker to do a book... and bring in page graphics from Xara. But if really needed, you could make up a page of truly justified and hyphenated text in Word, at a large size, like 24pt, and then bring it in as a bitmap reduced way down in WD6, to 10 or 12 pt. Clunky, but then.
    Other news today: seems like the Oxford English Dictionary, all 20 volumes at $30,000, is out of print. Bye-bye, justified text and correct hyphens! As the saying goes, guess we'll have to wait 'til it comes out on DVD...

Thanks for the help,

The trial version I had didnt have the full text justify, as it wasn't version 6, on downloading version 6 I then found that it was there.

It didnt mention it, or I didnt spot it on the 'whats new on version 6'.

Thanks for your help.

Have a new problem not which I will post a new request on!

G
    Last edited by themodeller; 30 August 2010 at 10:30 AM.