Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default display placeholder as image during load of flash replacement ?

Hi there,

I have a placeholder on my frontpage that holds an image. The placeholder is set to load a flash file which is about 3MB big.... This takes some time to load on some machines and i would like to keep the image displayed as long as the flash has not finished loading.... NOw a blank placeholder is displayed until the flash is loaded....

Is this possible ?

www.orthopedie-ronse.be/NL/index.htm

thanx,

Olivier

Default Re: display placeholder as image during load of flash replacement ?

Hello Olivier - Welcome to TalkGraphics

Good question. Make a screen shot of the animation. Post the actual animation on your web server. Link the image to the url for the image. For example. If your Flash file is called FlashFun.swf and your website is www.mywebsite.com, link to www.mywebsite.com/FlashFun.swf

Put some text under the image to tell your visitors to click the image and then to be patient, it may take the image a minute or so to load.

Fantastic website design.

The way I do it is to take a screen shot like Gary says, but simply add it to my page *behind* the flash placeholder.
    So long as WMODE is set to transparent, the screenshot image will show until the flash movie loads.

DEMO:
    http://talkgraphics.magix.net/public/members/Olivier/
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you Gary and Sledger !

I did not quite understand what Gary means, but the demo from Sledger works perfectly how i planned it...

But..... When i change my placeholder to be replaced by the html code that loads the flash instead of linking it direct to the flash file to get things transparent my frontpage does not load the menu and the introtext anymore ?

Is creating a preloader screen in the flash movie (created in Xara) a solution ?

cheers,

Olivier

BTW, do you also first see my main menu build up like a bulleted list and then converted to the javascript menu ? Looks like there's some sort of delay somewhere....