Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default DesignerPro 6 Web design template question

Hi - totally new to all this, especially the web design part - I'm amazed at how simple it is! Apparently Design Pro 6 now includes both the previous Xara Xtreem Pro elements and the web design elements.

I grabbed a sample template and played around with it according to instructions on the Website's Intro template. All went well.

What has me confused, however, is that when it says to save it as a .web file, the only option I have in the Save As is .xar.

It works okay, as far as I can tell - the example web pages show, and update, etc - but I haven't tried uploading it to my website yet - way too early for that. So I'm wondering if the fact that it has been saved as .xar instead of .web will make a difference once I am ready to Publish it.

Is it just a program change, or do I need to find a way to save them as .web?

Thanks in advance,
    Judee

Default Re: DesignerPro 6 Web design template question

Hi,
    when you save your Designer document use 'save as" then select .Web extension or 'Save as=doc=Name.web". when you publish the file Designer ppublishes all the necessary code and filenames Directories etc.
    JimM

Hi

saving it as a .xar file is fine. Basically Web Designer saves files with a .web extension. Designer pro saves files with a .xar extension. Both .xar and .web files can be opened in either program

many thanks

Okay, thanks to both of you. I may be back later with more questions, but for now I'm still playing around to see what I can do - apparently lots! I'm amazed at how intuitive it is, and probably would have updated my website ages ago if I'd realized it.

Hello and welcome to talk graphics

As has been said either file extension is fine, a point to note though, dont know how new you are to all of this so apologies if I am rambling about something you already know.................................

I got the impression from your post that you may be thinking of uploading the .web or .xar file to your server, this will not work the .web or .xar file is purely the "master" if you like for working within the software, when your site is ready for publishinf you need to select the "export Website" option from the file menu, this will then create the relevant html files and also your folder which will contain all your images, it is these files and folder that you need to upload to your webspace

As said apologies if you knew this already it was just a felling I got from your post

Hope that helps

Chris