Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default beginners question on repeating objects

I have some experience of Xara but am new to the web design aspects. I understand that some items will repeat on all pages. So if I open a web template and modify the first page "Your heading text" I expect that to change on all the other pages. But it doesn't even if I do "update repeating objects". Don't understand - surely that "your heading text" item must be a repeating object in the template?

Default Re: beginners question on repeating objects

I've noticed with some templates that objects you would expect to repeating aren't but you can easily set them to do so.

Edit: You can check an if an object is repeating if it has a name begining with Repeating:

Following your edit tip about names, and looking at a couple of other templates it appears that in fact almost nothing is set to repeat (at least there aren't names with "repeating" in them. This seems stupid if there are items repeated like the name of the business and is guaranteed to put anyone trying the package out right off buying it as the ability to make "global" changes easily is pushed so hard in Xara promotional material. I'm using the finance template, it has "your heading text" on every page, but if I want to change it it seems I have to change it on one page, delete it from every other page, then make it a repeating object and then update all the other pages.

If you find the first and most obvious thing doesn't work as you've been led to expect, it really undermines your confidence in the entire package.

Quote Originally Posted by slast View Post
    ... (at least there aren't names with "repeating" in them.
    Well this isn't exactly true. I've checked every supplied template and all of them have repeating objects such as LOGOTYPES and Navbars, the sort of things you definitely want repeated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	repeating-object.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	76390

There's not much point in having everything made repeatable for you, how is Xara to know what you might want repeated in any case? Templates are starters - designed to get you on your way, the rest is up to you.
    In the right hands, the software is capable of so much more than just the 'out of the box' marketing hype.

Point taken. I guess I must have just hit a couple of examples where something absolutely basic that is definitely shown on every single page of the template, and would without question need to be changed, isn't apparently set up do it.

Perhaps the manual needs to be a bit clearer about exactly what the templates will/won't do. I just got very frustrated, and I think Xara isn't doing itself any favours in this respect as it could put someone off quite unnecessarily. I'll persevere and have another look at the tutorials to see if it's covered there. Anyway, thanks for the comment.
    Steve