Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thumbs up Automated Backups Worth Their Weight In Gold...............................

Just had what I would describe as a nightmare

Went to open a xara file I worked tirelessly on all weekend, 15 page site with all sorts of addons and got a little error message saying something along the lines of the file appears to be empty!

Crikey what now, checked the actual file location and although the file was there it was indeed empty, I have no idea what went wrong, for the sake of being thorough I decided to try and open it again from DP6 as you do hoping praying nope dam thing knackered!!

Whilst I was in the open recent section of the file menu I noticed a little line at the bottom that said backups so I clicked it, in there was around 13 different backups of the file from yesterday so I clicked the last one, yipheeeeeeeeeee there it was undamaged and up to date, very happy bunny

I have always viewed the automated backups as a bit of a pain, when they kick in everything tends to slow down for a few seconds and have thought about turning the feature off just never got round to it, needless to say it will be staying firmly switched on now for good!

Always nice to start the day on a positive

Chris

Default Re: Automated Backups Worth Their Weight In Gold...............................

Agreed. Agreed. Agreed.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Smile Re: Automated Backups Worth Their Weight In Gold...............................

Yesterday I went to open a site I've been working on for several days. I got the mesage that the .web file didn't exist.

I went to the folder concerned, and, sure enough, the entire site was there, but the .web file was nowhere to be seen. I must have had a spot of finger trouble at some point and not noticed.

A trip with heart in mouth to the recycle bin...and there it was! So thanks to MS as well. Autobackups and and the recycle bin have probably kept many people out of the asylum.

Default Re: Automated Backups Worth Their Weight In Gold...............................

Quote Originally Posted by staggers View Post
    Yesterday I went to open a site I've been working on for several days. I got the mesage that the .web file didn't exist.

I went to the folder concerned, and, sure enough, the entire site was there, but the .web file was nowhere to be seen. I must have had a spot of finger trouble at some point and not noticed.

A trip with heart in mouth to the recycle bin...and there it was! So thanks to MS as well. Autobackups and and the recycle bin have probably kept many people out of the asylum.
    I know that heart in mouth feeling lol

A feature that will definately never be turned off on my machine from now on..........................

I too have been SAVED once or twice!
    I was born outside the box! - Aridzone
    WebDesignerTemplate