Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Upgrading (CD/DVD Jewel Case)

I have just received my Xara Designer Pro 6 upgrade in the post all loose whilst my friend who upgraded to Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 6 received everything in a CD/DVD jewel case. Is this correct or have I been short changed!

It now means that I have to find a CD/DVD jewel case to put everything in for safekeeping, or maybe I am being pedantic considering that I paid more for the upgrade!

Default Re: Upgrading (CD/DVD Jewel Case)

My Photo & Graphics Designer 6 CDs came in a DVD style case. Upgraded from Xtreme 5.

My Designer Pro 6 CDs came in paper sleeves. Upgraded from Xtreme Pro 5.

I'm just happy to have the CDs.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi All.

My Designer Pro 6 CD came in a paper wallet. I was upgrading from Xtreme Pro 5.
    The XaraXone CD was also in a paper wallet.

Would have liked proper cases with all the artwork on the cover etc...

Or is it just me who likes that sort of thing?!

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

It's nothing new for Xara Xtreme Pro CDs to be sent out in tuppeny sleeves - I think it's all part of Xara's masterplan of not being taken seriously by creating a great program and then falling at the last hurdle to actually get anywhere with it.

I didn't create one for v5 because I didn't upgrade, but you can download a .xar file that I created for Xtreme Pro v3.2 or Xtreme Pro v4 and modify it to make a DIY DVD case which, if your office is anything like mine, will help avoid throwing the CDs away by accident.

Hi Daniel.

Thanks for sharing your .xar files for the previous covers.
    It's a belated thank you, but a thank you all the same.

Cheers.

I think the reason for sending it out in a paper sleeve is to save money and go 'greener', by saving on plastic cases and extra postage costs. Most companies now are reducing the size of the physical product they send out, for instance paperless billing, and now my car insurance is not sent out on paper but is available by logging onto their website to print out only if it is needed, thus saving a huge amount of paper annually - and paper and plastic uses energy up to produce it. So I am in favour of Xara reducing their carbon footprint be reducing the packaging, which to be honest is mostly not needed. And as posted above, if you really want it in a plastic case, you can produce one yourself and produce a customised label in Xara, there's an interesting design project

Carbon Footprint... hmmnnn!

What most individuals do is very admirable but that doesn't make a blind bit of difference when you consider what India (yes I can comment here is because I am Indian) and China are doing. Even America doesn't recycle, as far as I am aware. I am more that happy for people to put me right by the way.

We recycle, in our house, to try and do our bit but is it making a difference?!

Apologies for making this sound political but the topic was mentioned!

Would it not be a good idea for all DVDs and CDs that you purchase from various stores, not to be sold in beautiful cases with all the lovely artwork etc...?
    So, why are all those companies not selling their products in simple paper sleeves?

One main purpose for the covers is protection. Will Xara replace my DVD if it is damaged? They might but will this not contribute to the carbon footprint by having to send another DVD through the post?!

Downloading over the Internet might be an option?
    But then is that not contributing by making a demand on the electricity and other resources. Then you would need to burn that onto DVD anyway, for safe keeping.

All my important stuff is in a proper CD or a DVD case.
    Sincere apologies if that is contributing to the carbon in my footprint.

I am not making light of this by the way. For example, we do not leave TVs on standby. We switch off as many appliances as we can, at the mains, that rely on transformers and so on.
    Last edited by Rik; 16 August 2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spelling and addition

xdp6 Re: Upgrading (CD/DVD Jewel Case)

It's very odd, and I didn't even think of it until just now.

Normally, I prefer digital distribution. I buy all of my games via Steam these days, because it's made everything extremely convenient. In the (hopefully) rare occasion that I will have to reinstall everything on my PC, I know that putting all of that stuff back on will be a minimum of hassle (it certainly was back in March when I had to get rid of my free beta of Win7 and install the OEM copy I'd just bought).

When I bought XDP6, I downloaded the trial and plugged in my registration code, and thought nothing else of it until people mentioned receiving the CD version in the mail. When mine did arrive, I was (very slightly) put off by the fact that XX5 had arrived in a plastic case, and XDP6 did not. But if I had not received the CDs at all, I would have been very happy with just the downloaded version, and truthfully, if I had to reinstall, I'd rather go with that version rather than digging out a CD. But there's something about actually receiving those discs, I felt like, now they're here, they need a proper home.

-- Ben

[QUOTE=sjukmidlands;376658]I think the reason for sending it out in a paper sleeve is to save money and go 'greener', by saving on plastic cases and extra postage costs.[QUOTE]

Well that didn't work because I had to go out and buy a DVD case to put the CDs in (to protect them), so any 'going green' attempt was negated.

And is there really that much difference in postage? I suspect it would be pretty much the same as it's usually based on weight.

Quote Originally Posted by sjukmidlands View Post
    I think the reason for sending it out in a paper sleeve is to save money and go 'greener', by saving on plastic cases and extra postage costs.
    Well that didn't work because I had to go out and buy a DVD case to put the CDs in (to protect them), so any 'going green' attempt was negated.

And is there really that much difference in postage? I suspect it would be pretty much the same as it's usually based on weight.