Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

xdp6 New to Xara...Looking for critique for logo

Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum and to Xara. I created a logo with Xara Xtreme and I wanted to know what some of you think.

Please feel free to be honest. Also if you have any ideas on color I would be glad to hear it.

Note: It's for a web design company whose target market is primarily women.

Thanks!

misstheresa2009
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dees-logo.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	75397  

Default Re: New to Xara...Looking for critique for logo

Welcome to TalkGraphics Miss Theresa! I hope to see a lot of future postings from you.

Now for the logo critique...

Unfortunately, the logo doesn't do much for me, especially for a web design company. I must admit I only half read your post before looking at the attached logos so I initially missed the 'web hosting company' part. While I was looking at the initial logo concepts I kept thinking 'new designs' of what? I had two 'whats' in mind before really reading your post; an upscale clothing designer and a photography studio. Obviously neither choice was correct and you've already lost on the 'initial impression/feeling' that the logo generates in the viewer.

I'd rather the logo be 1) directly to the point so I know exactly what business it is representing, or 2) a logo that is so obscure that it is totally unrelated to the business or product. For example, if you had no idea what business Nike was in would athletic shoes and sports equipment be your first guess? Probably not! Something more along the lines of 'Dee's Web Design Studio' is a much better fit, in my opinion. Unless, of course, that they only want to work on 'new designs' and then let some other company handle the web hosting and future updates & redesigns for their clients.

I also find all of the script hard to read and process quickly. Maybe keep Dee's in script and find a different font for the rest of the text. Unless Dee only services a local market where everyone knows her, or handles an exclusive or limited number of clients, or depends on word-of-mouth advertising, does anyone else who's looking for a web design firm really care whether it's Dee's, or not? In other words, if Dee's logo was in a book, or on a web page with a lot of other web design and/or other company logos would it stand out and reflect what the company does in order to generate interest in a potential customer? If the logo was to be placed on signs, and customers drove past them at 40, 50, or 60+ mph could the logo be read quickly and easily enough to be remembered at a later time?

When trying to design a logo think about all of the 'things' a customer may want to use it on; business cards, letterhead, magazine or newspaper ads, signs, posters, pens, advertising give-aways, hats, t-shirts, polo shirts, vehicles, shopping bags, stickers, etc., etc., etc. Try to come up with a logo that would look good, and one that could be easily and cost effectively placed on the above items in color and/or black & white. Don't forget some people still actually read newspapers and conduct business using FAX machines. The horror!

Hopefully something in the above will expand your creative spirit and help with the logo design. Then again, I'm obviously a guy so I may be totally off the mark! If that's the case then just ignore me and do your own thing.

Whatever you do, don't give up,
    Harry

xdp6 Re: New to Xara...Looking for critique for logo

Harry,

Thank you so much for your input. I appreciate you honesty. I am actually going to print out your response and keep it handy. I will work on this logo again tomorrow morning.

Once again, thank you and I hope you have a great day (evening, depending on where you live.

misstheresa2009

You asked about ideas on color, here is an idea with plenty of color (maybe too much) and visual interest and is sure to attract attention. The background image is to accentuate the New Designs Theme. Just something that was assembled rather quickly and may not be to your liking but may also stir some out-of-the-box ideas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dees.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	75415  

Thanks! I will try out your idea.

Actually, I like it just fine as it is - elegant and works for me.

Welcome to TG

the bottom one is good - well balanced

the middle one does not work - you have two clashing fonts - more than one font in a logo has to be well matched

the top one looks a bit wrong on the two levels, doesn't scan well

that's how I see it
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thank you all for your feedback. It has been very helpful to me. I actually went ahead and created a new logo.

Thanks!

Okay, I'd love to see what you came up with.