Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default what process do you use to add perspective into your vector drawings?

this got me thinking...
    do you do it by eye, do you use perspective rules and draw out guides for each shape, do you do your perspective in another program and then import into xara? or do you use photos for reference?
    Last edited by Clear80; 11 August 2010 at 05:38 PM.

Default Re: what process do you use to add perspective into your vector drawings?

It depends on the drawing.

Mostly I do it by eye.

If the drawing requires more accuracy then I use perspective lines for reference.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Re: what process do you use to add perspective into your vector drawings?

Trying to do tradition perspective on the computer can drive you nuts. Because you need to have your vanishing point pretty far apart to get an accurate result without distortion. And drawing to and from these points requires a lot of zooming in and out.

You can set up different views (Window > New View) and then use Ctrl + Tab to toggle back and forth within the views.

What you can also do is to set up your basic sides, then create your drawing in 2D plan view and use the Mould Tool > Default Perspective Envelope to snap the 2D drawing onto the side.

Have a look at this Workbook. And this one.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Trying to do tradition perspective on the computer can drive you nuts. Because you need to have your vanishing point pretty far apart to get an accurate result without distortion. And drawing to and from these points requires a lot of zooming in and out.

You can set up different views (Window > New View) and then use Ctrl + Tab to toggle back and forth within the views.

What you can also do is to set up your basic sides, then create your drawing in 2D plan view and use the Mould Tool > Default Perspective Envelope to snap the 2D drawing onto the side.

i had a look at that tutorial but i confused what you mean. are you saying its best to 'forget' about doing traditional perspective in xara cause its too hard (too much zooming, not enough screen space) and use the mould tool to create perspective? can this effective? can you describe what you mean a bit better? what does views do and how would i use that in drawing perspective?
    Last edited by Clear80; 11 August 2010 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    It depends on the drawing.

Mostly I do it by eye.

If the drawing requires more accuracy then I use perspective lines for reference.
    i think ive got the hang of 1 pt perspective now i think i could do it by eye now. im gonna try and post my results after

Here are two examples of images created simply by eye.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snowbabies.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	75301   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	postcard.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	75302  

Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post

I second that Gary. Doing traditional perspective on the computer is troublesome. Personally though I prefer it to envelopes because I have more flexibility and the envelopes only give one vanishing point and only work on one side at a time (basically a 1-point perspective). not that one couldn't do the other side as well and try to fit the two sides together, but, I have noticed that many people try that but don't keep both side vanishing points on the same horizon line. That is why I am struggling to do a tutorial to ground people in the basics of perspective so they can use the envelopes or other perspective tools with a bit of knowledge. As much as I love Xara it isn't the easiest program in which to do perspectives and wasn't intended to be. Spacing is another issue, and using the blend tool is so easy. But I wonder how many know how this works and should the need arise how to accomplish this without the aid of a computer.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

In the XaraXone there is a detailed Guest Tutorial on the subject of perspective, which I did in 2002.

It is at www.xaraxone.com/guest/guest13/index.htm. (Not sure how to put a live link into this forum).

I don't think Xara have updated the perspective mould tool since then.

(Seems the live link works automatically - amazing!)
    Last edited by tonylondon; 13 August 2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Extra comment
    Tony

Tony
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...