Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is This Perspective Right?

i just got norlings perspective made easy. perspective is tough ****.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Is This Perspective Right?

im sure its way off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Is This Perspective Right.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	75282  

You have got to decide before you start a perspective drawing whither it is 2pt. or 1pt. perspective and draw in your vanishing points. In your drawing it looks that you have been caught between the two. As your plane/car or what ever the model is your perspective going left looks right but the top surfaces going right are wrong. Have a look at the file I have just started it. I took one of your guides which was going right and I extended it to get the other vanishing point VP2. Do a Google search on this subject and there is one cool site aimed at Adobe Illustrator and it gives tutorials. What I would say is that this perspective would be better done using measured perspective which is another ball game to do on a computer with a graphics programme you would better to use a CAD programme or do it quicker with pencil and paper and a few drawing aids.
    Last edited by Albacore; 11 August 2010 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Needed more info
    Design is thinking made visual.

Here is the tutorials that I was mentioning: http://www.khulsey.com/perspective_basics.html

They are hard for the model that you are using!
    Design is thinking made visual.

You can do a rough (like simply drawing lines of pespective as a grid) or do detailed drawing using Google SketchUp Free. You can export the result to a PNG or JPG and import that into Xara and then draw over the top of it. Or, simply, open both SketchUp and Xara and toggle back to SketchUp to reference the proper perspective. SketchUp may also have vector DXF and PDF exports; the PDF you can open in Xara and the DXF you'd have to import into another application to create a Xara friendly vector format.

no it doesn't look right.
    Sorry it has taken me so long to do my perspective tutorial.
    I've got to get the lead out.
    I'm part way through but when it comes to the written part I have a hard time
    Sorry for the delay. You have given me some ideas of what is giving you problems that I may be able to clarify. Even though my tutorial is from the standpoint of doing them my hand. It's on the way soon though.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Actually, it may look closer than you think. BUT IT DEPENDS UPON THE ACTUAL SHAPE YOU ARE TRYING TO PORTRAY.

Here you see the shape I thought you were trying to visualize in the orthographic views and a 4th perspective view close to that of your original image.

So it is not just getting the perspective and viewing angle correct but understanding the geometry in that perspective.

As a starting point, you might want to show us some orthographic views of the shape you were trying to put into perspective.

I did this in SketchUp in less than 5 minutes (I used your image as a backdrop for comparison).

Name:	_Is This Perspective Right.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	75292  
    Last edited by jclements; 11 August 2010 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    You have got to decide before you start a perspective drawing whither it is 2pt. or 1pt. perspective and draw in your vanishing points. In your drawing it looks that you have been caught between the two. As your plane/car or what ever the model is your perspective going left looks right but the top surfaces going right are wrong. Have a look at the file I have just started it. I took one of your guides which was going right and I extended it to get the other vanishing point VP2. Do a Google search on this subject and there is one cool site aimed at Adobe Illustrator and it gives tutorials. What I would say is that this perspective would be better done using measured perspective which is another ball game to do on a computer with a graphics programme you would better to use a CAD programme or do it quicker with pencil and paper and a few drawing aids.

hmm. i see. so i only had one point, adding two corrects it? is it better to do it by eye? or rather learn to do it by eye? i mean im not an engineer or architect. are the vanishing points supposed to be even ly spaced apart when doing 2pt?

I am not an engineer or achitect.

I found that programs like SketchUp helped me visualize what a perspective should look like (it even has a option to view in traditional 2-Point perspective, see below attachment).

It can be tricky understanding how a bending pipe, the intersection of cylinders, and non-symetrical shapes should appear in perspective. Sometimes even a "minor" error can easily be seen and keep your illustatration from looking its best. Unless you have a photograph or computer application (or a good how-to-sketch book) to use for a comparison, it can be frustrating.

Practice is important.

Name:	_two point perspective.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	75295  
    Last edited by jclements; 11 August 2010 at 06:15 PM.

i think i see my mistake after reading about 1 point perspective. the mistakes i see in my drawing are, 1. my drawing doesn't know whether its 1 pt or 2 pt perspective. 2. its impossible to be just 1 pt because all 1 pt perspective end at a single CENTRAL vanishing point. making my far left 1 pt drawing impossible. 3. adding a second vanishing point, makes 2 pt happen, and it doesn't matter whether the two pts are equally spaced as the father left or right a point is the more the object is being turned, or the view is being panned. is this correct. i think ill star with 1 pt for now.