Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Can I stop using/upgrading Web Designer 6 ... (more detail inside)

Hi, all.

I did a bit of reading to see if I could find the answer to these questions, but did not, so I apologize if this is a FAQ.

I am currently using Web Designer 6 for web site design and development and and Xtreme 5 (not Pro) for images and pages for that work, etc.

From what I can tell from reading here and at the Xara forum, it appears that if I upgrade from Xtreme 5 to Designer Pro 6, I will have all the functionality of Web Designer 6 in the new program.

1. Is this totally accurate? Does Designer Pro 6 include everything that Web Designer 6 has and it do it as well (i.e., menus, quick site output, etc.)? For example, some of the simpler menus in Web Designer 6 make it easier to use than Xtreme 5 - not surprisingly, I suppose.

2. Most importantly, after getting Designer Pro 6, can I punt Web Designer 6 completely? I.e., stop using/licensing/upgrading it totally in the future?

3. Or, would you all think that I would be equally okay just upgrading Xtreme 5 to the Graphics and Photo Designer 6? The cost of this upgrade at US $39 is a lot less than the US $99 to upgrade to Designer Pro 6? Particularly since upgrading Designer Pro 6 in the future is likely to be more expensive too.

So, while the price difference for the upgrade seems not to be in favor doing this, going from using two separate programs down to using one has some merit, I think.

I'd appreciate your comments and thoughts about this soon, since the special upgrade price is due to expire soon ...

Thanks!

Z

Default Re: Can I stop using/upgrading Web Designer 6 ... (more detail inside)

Welcome to TG

[1] Yes

[2] Yes

[3] P&GD would probably represent a downgrade. No Web Designer 6 enhancements.

Welcome to TalkGraphics.

Agree totally with sledger.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Welcome to TG

[1] Yes

[2] Yes

[3] P&GD would probably represent a downgrade. No Web Designer 6 enhancements.
    Thanks much for the prompt reply!

For number 3, if I did get only the upgrade to "P&GD", my plan was to continue using Web Designer 6 for the web work and PG&D for the image editing, etc.

Clearly, given your answers to 1 and 2, going to Designer Pro 6 makes sense, although the upgrade price is higher in the short duration. Of course, I can wish Xara had a yet lower cost upgrade from the combo that I have already. I.e., "Web Designer 6 + XTreme 5" to "Designer Pro 6".

I have asked them about that ... I hope they can accommodate.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Welcome to TalkGraphics.

Agree totally with sledger.
    Thanks! I appreciate the prompt responses ...

Now, I just have to hear back from Xara to see if I can convince them that my upgrade price ought to be lower since I already have Web Designer 6, or if I can "trade my Web Designer 6 license in" somehow towards the upgrade for Designer Pro 6.

If they agree, great! Otherwise, I will have to consider sticking with PG&D 6 and Web Designer 6, since the upgrade cost is so much lower for me. This is not being paid from a company - it is a personal purchase for things I do for my own stuff - so I hope they will be amenable.

Thanks again!

Z

I too faced the same dilema, owning as I do XX5 and WD5(now WD6).

My use is entirely hobby/personal.

The logical upgrade of XX5 to PGD6 and WD5 to WD6 is the most economical route and brings my original capabilities right up to date. I have never, nor likely will ever need the advanced features of XX5pro/DP6, so I see no need to spend any resources on it. Xara themselves I think must appreciate this in continuing to offer the (less professionally equipped) PGD6 and WD6 combo.

However you need to think quick as Xara have announced the kill date of the attractive upgrade prices. http://www.xara.com/uk/outsider/july10/
    Alan

One thing to consider ..... The upgrade from XX5 to XDP6 also contains a printed manual (a sore point for some), that if taken as a separate monetary value, means that the upgrade from XX5 to XDP6 ($99) is near enough the same cost as the upgrades from WD5 to WD6 ($29) + XX5 to XPGD6 ($39) + printed manual ($30), and as mentioned means that everything is in one package (you also get some additional pro features like enhanced PDF export and Pantone palettes) - See also this post from katemoir - the key phrase being " .. but ultimately Pro is the top of the range and it has everything."

The downside of course is that this puts you on the Pro upgrade path next time and will probably therefore not be quite as cost effective.

For me it was a no brainer. Everything in one top of the line package ...

Think about it! Quickly ...
    Last edited by ss-kalm; 07 August 2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Added costs ...
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I think you will find that there is a discount, they just don't show it. When I checked out the price for XDP6 was less than the quoted upgrade price - I have both xtreme pro 5.0 and WD6.

Grace
    Quote Originally Posted by szh View Post
    Thanks much for the prompt reply!

Clearly, given your answers to 1 and 2, going to Designer Pro 6 makes sense, although the upgrade price is higher in the short duration. Of course, I can wish Xara had a yet lower cost upgrade from the combo that I have already. I.e., "Web Designer 6 + XTreme 5" to "Designer Pro 6".

I have asked them about that ... I hope they can accommodate.

Z
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    One thing to consider ..... The upgrade from XX5 to XDP6 also contains a printed manual (a sore point for some), that if taken as a separate monetary value, means that the upgrade from XX5 to XDP6 ($99) is near enough the same cost as the upgrades from WD5 to WD6 ($29) + XX5 to XPGD6 ($39) + printed manual ($30), and as mentioned means that everything is in one package (you also get some additional pro features like enhanced PDF export and Pantone palettes)
    Yup, you are right about those cost calculations.

Unfortunately, my problem is (a) I had already purchased for the upgrade from WD5 to WD6 months back when it came out and (b) I don't really need/want a printed manual.

While the extra features do have value for people, I probably would not use them enough to justify the cost.

So, for all intents and purpose, spending just the $39 for the XX5 to XPGD6 upgrade seems like the right thing ... for now. And maybe I should not be in a rush to upgrade WD6 the next time. Then, going to the next upgrade of DP6 would be better justified.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    The downside of course is that this puts you on the Pro upgrade path next time and will probably therefore not be quite as cost effective.
    Yup, that is indeed my other concern. It seems pretty certain that upgrades from DP6 to future versions will be more expensive than the combined upgrades to XPGD6 and WD6 to their future versions.

Sigh ...

Z

Quote Originally Posted by ajreed View Post
    The logical upgrade of XX5 to PGD6 and WD5 to WD6 is the most economical route and brings my original capabilities right up to date. I have never, nor likely will ever need the advanced features of XX5pro/DP6, so I see no need to spend any resources on it. Xara themselves I think must appreciate this in continuing to offer the (less professionally equipped) PGD6 and WD6 combo.
    I believe your comments have pretty much convinced me ... I don't need the other features of the Pro versions really. The convenience of a single program is useful, I suppose, but I can do fine without that.

So, if I cannot get Xara to give me credit for the WD5 to WD6 upgrade that I have already done some months back, then going for the XX5 to XPGD6 upgrade (at $39) is the correct thing to do for now.

I guess I will wait a day or two for their response to my question on the Xara web site, and if they cannot accommodate my request (which is entirely okay for them to not want to do, of course!), then I will only do the above XX5 to XPGD6 upgrade ... for now.

Z