Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Curious about why Arrowsheads should not extend from the line length.

Quote Originally Posted by bcire68 View Post
    The way that I and others are asking that it work in the future.
    Draw a line from A to B
    Apply Arrow head and tail
    Same for dimensioning in technical drawing (as mentioned above). Just checked Visio and it works this way.

The advantage of computers is that they allow you to work more efficiently. Well, theoretically...

If you want to draw by hand, well, ok... :-)

Default Re: Curious about why Arrowsheads should not extend from the line length.

In the proposed system the line lenght INCLUDES the arrow.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

If you intend to include an arrowhead, then plan your design accordingly.

Do not begin drawing your line to an exact size that you know will be inaccurate when you include the arrowhead.

It is a simple matter of getting your plans thought out before grabbing the mouse or pen.

Begin a line and add the arrowhead.
    Turn off Scale Line Width.
    Use the Shape Editor Tool to move your line+arrowhead to it's final resting place.

Anything else in my not so humble opinion is wanting the software to make up for failure to plan ahead.

How other software works isn't of importance, use a program for how it was designed rather than wishing it worked another way.

If future versions works differently then adjust your planning.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree then Bill. (Though I don't understand how you can argue with the work flow improvement.) The line in my example is the perfect length. It is the ends that are not being placed on the line correctly. You believe that they should extend beyond the line. I believe that they should be placed on the line without extending beyond it.

OK. I can't resist. I will try one more time to change your mind. Let me turn the tables on you. Can you explain to me what possible benefit I get out of doing things your way (assuming that I had a choice)? As it stands now, I can't see one. The benefit of my way is improved work flow.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

An arrowhead is an addition to the line, logically it must extend beyond the line.

The most effective workflow is one that follows logic. To me the most logical thing is to add the arrowhead before making the final length for the line.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    If you intend to include an arrowhead, then plan your design accordingly.
    How long is the arrow head and tail? The sizes are not exact, how can you know?

How other software works isn't of importance, use a program for how it was designed rather than wishing it worked another way.

If future versions works differently then adjust your planning.
    That isn't exactly a fair comment is it? You started this thread from one that was started in the Dear Xara section asking for changes to the functionality, and asking why people want it.
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    My Club. My Album.

OK. Old dog...new trick. (both of us). Your way isn't logical to me, and I can accept that my way isn't logical to you. I'm happy to leave it at that.

(It doesn't change the fact that you are WRONG WRONG WRONG, though.) )
    My Club. My Album.

Eric, I am often WRONG but it is logical for me.

BTW the arrow sizes are precise.

For example the smallest preset arrow size (left most in the arrow gallery) is a factor of 3. On a one pixel line the widest part of the arrowhead is 3 pixels, extending one pixel above and below the line which is centered. The length of the arrow head is 1.16666667 times the width at it's base.

If you use XaReg you can change the preset arrowhead factors to your liking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XaReg_Arrowheads.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	75103  
    Last edited by Soquili; 03 August 2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: added attachment
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Ah so you can skip the adjustments in your method...if you want to do some math first?!?! Let me take a few moments to calculate exactly how many pixels away from an object I need to start and end my line. That must be a work flow improvement. lol

As long as it is logical to you Bill. More power to ya'.

Eric
    My Club. My Album.

Hmmm...try Bill's method
    ...Begin a line and add the arrowhead.
    Turn off Scale Line Width.
    Use the Shape Editor Tool to move your line+arrowhead to it's final resting place...
    and snap it to an object, guides or grid. Where does the tip of the arrow point? Respectfully, it seems kinda illogical, doesn't it, Bill?
    Last edited by Fred C; 03 August 2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spelling
    ~Fred