Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Default Re: Curious about why Arrowsheads should not extend from the line length.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    My 50c worth.. as a suggestion, you could have a toggle selector to add arrowheads to the line or include them.

Attachment 75117
    Excellent idea!
    Anton

Default Re: Curious about why Arrowsheads should not extend from the line length.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Seems reasonable to me..

Attachment 75121
    Another excellent idea!

What about an offset outline/inline option as well?
    Anton

Keep in mind legacy files, you wouldn't want to mess with those when opening them.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenWWinters View Post
    Same for dimensioning in technical drawing (as mentioned above). Just checked Visio and it works this way.
    Exactly. For dimensioning and pointing to things on diagrams, you always want the point to be at the end of the line, which is why all CAD packages and apps like Visio and Word/Office always have the end of the line and the point of the arrow coincide.

It's not just if you change the thickness of the line that Xara's current technique is a problem, it's also the fact that if you change the angle of a line (by moving another point on it), the place the arrows point to then changes.

I'm not really sure what type of drawing the OP does, other than it must certainly be different to the kinds of things I do - I'd guess from the comments about never using snap it must be more at the artistic end of stuff, and less at the CAD/diagramming - that's probably why he doesn't see the same problem lots of the rest of us do.

I have been amused at how many +1s my original request generated though - not really sure if counts for anything, but if we don't ask we won't get... (Not actually noticed that the opposite applies either, but I can always hope)

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

I think that the OP was just trying to stir things up by playing the devil's advocate. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that it was to raise awareness about how people really feel about the issue, and not really trying to defend his point of view.

Don't feel bad. I fell for it too.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by bcire68 View Post
    <snip>

The way it is now (the way you think is 'normal'):
    Draw a line from A to B
    Apply Arrow head and tail
    Choose Arrow head node.
    Nudge with arrow keys until point is at B
    Choose Arrow tail node
    Nudge with arrow keys until tail is at A

The way that I and others are asking that it work in the future.
    Draw a line from A to B
    Apply Arrow head and tail

My way is much shorter and more simple because I have already placed the line ends where I want them. This seems logical to me. Eric
    I'm with you all the way Eric - this is a classical example of the difference in viewpoints between the 'technicians' used to CAD programs and precise drawing and the 'illustrators' with a graphical background. Off course the arrow should be included in the line, it's the only sensible way

(just my 2 Eurocents)

best regards

JimR

Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    I'm with you all the way Eric - this is a classical example of the difference in viewpoints between the 'technicians' used to CAD programs and precise drawing and the 'illustrators' with a graphical background.
    The bit which eludes me is what the 'illustrators' want the arrowheads for in the first place...

well yes I guess we could just draw them in?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by willdean View Post
    The bit which eludes me is what the 'illustrators' want the arrowheads for in the first place...
    Very good point...except from my viewpoint it would be "what does a CAD person want with an illustration application?".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arrow-location.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	75179  
    Last edited by Soquili; 06 August 2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: added attachment
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Very good point...except from my viewpoint it would be "why does a CAD person want with an illustration application?".
    I'd like to think there wasn't anyone doing serious CAD in Xara, but then I know people who draw electronic schematics in Word, so there are no limits to a sufficiently stubborn desire to use the wrong tools.

I think CAD only came up because dimensions are a common use of lines with arrows on, and when one thinks of dimensioned drawings, one tends to think of CAD.

Those of us who've been suggesting that there might be people using Xara in a sufficiently artistic way to actually find the current behaviour useful have really just been trying to find a polite way to avoid calling you a troll.

I'm not going to bother any more - you're just trolling on this one.